General Forums > Tow Vehicles

Tow Vehicle Payload

(1/10) > >>

transamz9:
I'm wondering, how many of you actually pay attention to payload when buying a vehicle?

How do YOU determine or make up YOUR mind that a vehicle's ability is right for you? Do you "just know" it will handle what you are going to use it for or do you look at numbers whether it be the Payload the manufacture places on the particular vehicle or do you go by axle capacities or tire capacities? 

JackJ:
Well payload is the amount that it can haul, not tow, so that has never been a factor for me.   I look more at the towing capacity.

My 4runner has a towing capacity of 5000lbs and my boat and trailer is close to 4000 which is too close to me.   It does fine, but I think it still stresses it out a bit, so now I am looking for a vehicle for a higher capacity just for the extra peice of mind.

transamz9:

--- Quote from: JackJ on December 28, 2016, 02:48:35 PM ---Well payload is the amount that it can haul, not tow, so that has never been a factor for me.   I look more at the towing capacity.

My 4runner has a towing capacity of 5000lbs and my boat and trailer is close to 4000 which is too close to me.   It does fine, but I think it still stresses it out a bit, so now I am looking for a vehicle for a higher capacity just for the extra peice of mind.

--- End quote ---

Okay, lets talk about your 4Runner then. You say payload has nothing to do with towing? What is the GVWR of your 4Runner? How much does your 4Runner weigh. You have to remember that the tongue weight on your boat takes away from your payload. If your tongue weight is 10% of your boat and your boat weighs 4,000# then you are putting 400# on the 4Runner. That is using your payload.

Now, you say "400# ain't nothing" Now you need to add the cooler you have in the back and all the other stuff that didn't come with the 4Runner when it rolled of the assembly line. What about your buddy that weighs 250#. The stuff that he brought with him? Have you added anything to the 4Runner like running boards, vent visors, bug shields etc? What about the tires? are they original? If not, do they weigh the same as the OE tires? All this adds up.

What year is your 4 Runner?

transamz9:

--- Quote from: JackJ on December 28, 2016, 02:48:35 PM ---Well payload is the amount that it can haul, not tow, so that has never been a factor for me.   I look more at the towing capacity.

--- End quote ---

Something else you should know is that payload actually reduces the "towing capacity". Your towing capacity is 5,000# with the base version of your model. If you have a loaded out version of the model then the weight of all the options that were added by the manufacture comes off the "towing capacity" Make sense?

JackJ:
yes I agree with all of that, but I never carry anything other than my fat self and my even larger partner.   I guess if you are carrying a lot in the vehicle it is for sure something to think about.

The payload is 1300 on the 4runner, and my tounge weight is about 500 lbs.  So I am looking at about 1000 of payload, so I am actually closer than I would have thought.
I did add airbags to the back rear springs to help keep it level.  Not sure if that increased any payload or not.

And hopefully soon I will have a vehicle like a Sequoia that has a lot higher payload and towing capacity.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version