BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 247
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Tow Vehicle Payload  (Read 45657 times)

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
Re: Tow Vehicle Payload
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2017, 03:34:24 PM »
Thanks Tranz   yep everything u mentioned is exactly what I found to be correct.  I didnt need the camper anymore and I really do like the truck  so bye to the camper.  Im about ready to get another truck but I think Im going back to springs  the ride difference  is def noticeable but I feel better knowing Im not gonna pop a bag or a fitting goes out.  I wish they did put a more aggressive system in it but after talking to my bud at the dealer its not in the cards and Im not knowledgeable enough to redesign it using after market stuff.  Too much computer  involved  if anything I would go to a lowrider type control system and rip all the Ram stuff out  but its so inter woven in the main system Its tough
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2017, 03:54:45 PM »
Thanks Tranz   yep everything u mentioned is exactly what I found to be correct.  I didnt need the camper anymore and I really do like the truck  so bye to the camper.  Im about ready to get another truck but I think Im going back to springs  the ride difference  is def noticeable but I feel better knowing Im not gonna pop a bag or a fitting goes out.  I wish they did put a more aggressive system in it but after talking to my bud at the dealer its not in the cards and Im not knowledgeable enough to redesign it using after market stuff.  Too much computer  involved  if anything I would go to a lowrider type control system and rip all the Ram stuff out  but its so inter woven in the main system Its tough

Look at the 2500's with the air. It won't ride as soft as the 1500 and have all the difference suspension options because the 2500 only has the air on the rear but if you get the gas engine there won't be a big increase in the cost and it will handle a decent sized TC if you chose to get another one. I know what you are thinking and no the new 2500's with gas motors don't drink the gas like your old one.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 03:57:30 PM by transamz9 »

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2017, 08:03:17 AM »
I ran across this article yesterday that fits right in with this thread. Most people would think if they were buying a full size 1500 series pick up with a V8 in it that they would be good to go to tow most anything. This is a crew cab truck that has seating for 5 grown men. Remember that the people in the truck take away from available payload.........

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/10/a-weighty-issue-calculating-real-world-payload-towing-capacities.html

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2017, 04:03:31 PM »
This is a crew cab truck that has seating for 5 grown men. Remember that the people in the truck take away from available payload.........

And if those "grown men" are overgrown, the payload drops even lower  (giggle)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2017, 04:35:03 PM »
This is a crew cab truck that has seating for 5 grown men. Remember that the people in the truck take away from available payload.........

And if those "grown men" are overgrown, the payload drops even lower  (giggle)

If they average 200# then you are at payload. can't even take the boat with you.. :nono: (fp) (giggle)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2017, 09:30:15 PM »

If they average 200# then you are at payload. can't even take the boat with you.. :nono: (fp) (giggle)

:surprised: :rolleyes:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2017, 09:41:00 AM »
So does it mean everyone has to buy a f-350 dually to just pull an 18ft bass boat?
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2017, 09:47:31 AM »
So does it mean everyone has to buy a f-350 dually to just pull an 18ft bass boat?

I wouldn't sweat it. I would be more concerned with braking than with towing. It's not often that any of us would have 5 full grown men in our truck when we're towing our bass boats  (nope)

Now, if it was a bigger saltwater boat, then we might want to look at it a bit more closely.

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2017, 05:39:35 PM »
I ended buying a 2011 GMC Yukon SLT.    My wife will drive it until I need to pull my boat.  Hopefully I can get it away from her then.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2017, 06:47:30 PM »

I wouldn't sweat it. I would be more concerned with braking than with towing. It's not often that any of us would have 5 full grown men in our truck when we're towing our bass boats  (nope)

Now, if it was a bigger saltwater boat, then we might want to look at it a bit more closely.

You buy what you want.  Im just trying to put something out there for people that dont know. imo I  personally look at the axle ratings and how much i will be putting on each axle. The axle is designed to carry and stop its capacity.  Some people want to stay within all manufacturer ratings so i just put this up to help with their decision.

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2017, 03:02:41 AM »
So I've been trying to absorb all this as I am looking to find a vehicle for my wife to drive and still be able to pull my boat.  She has done it for 11 years with several trips to south Texas using her Jeep Liberty Diesel.

So far all I have been able to find in the size of vehicle that she wants is the Mercedes-Benz 350 GLE.  It has a tow capacity of 7200 pounds and my boat weighs close to 5000.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2017, 07:39:38 AM »
So I've been trying to absorb all this as I am looking to find a vehicle for my wife to drive and still be able to pull my boat.  She has done it for 11 years with several trips to south Texas using her Jeep Liberty Diesel.

So far all I have been able to find in the size of vehicle that she wants is the Mercedes-Benz 350 GLE.  It has a tow capacity of 7200 pounds and my boat weighs close to 5000.

The 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited we had had a 7200# tow rating also. I pulled my 21'  Z9 with it a couple time and it did very well.

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2017, 08:11:23 AM »
So far all I have been able to find in the size of vehicle that she wants is the Mercedes-Benz 350 GLE.

So what, pray tell - are you towing with a Mercedes....if I may be so bold to ask?  (whew)

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
    • Club website
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2017, 04:16:47 PM »
So what, pray tell - are you towing with a Mercedes....if I may be so bold to ask?  (whew)
Mercedes does make a nice SUV with a pretty decent tow capacity and a diesel

Also, my Jeep Grand Cherokee specs 7500# for tow capacity with the diesel and it does exceptionally well.
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2017, 10:19:54 PM »
Oh, I have no doubt in MB capabilities - had one when I was in Germany. Just curious how special the boat was getting towed... AND blowin' Jig Man some garbage.  o/

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal