General Forums > Tow Vehicles

Tow Vehicle Payload

<< < (2/10) > >>

transamz9:

--- Quote from: JackJ on December 28, 2016, 03:14:13 PM ---yes I agree with all of that, but I never carry anything other than my fat self and my even larger partner.   I guess if you are carrying a lot in the vehicle it is for sure something to think about.

The payload is 1300 on the 4runner, and my tounge weight is about 500 lbs.  So I am looking at about 1000 of payload, so I am actually closer than I would have thought.
I did add airbags to the back rear springs to help keep it level.  Not sure if that increased any payload or not.

And hopefully soon I will have a vehicle like a Sequoia that has a lot higher payload and towing capacity.

--- End quote ---

Actually adding the air bags took away from your payload. I know the bags and hardware to mount then are not very heavy but you wold be surprised at how close you are. The only true way to tell your available payload is to go to a scale and actually weigh the 4Runner. do you not have you insurance info in the car? CDs? Maybe ice scraper. How much dirt is in, on , under the car? All that is payload.

You say that you added air bags to help level the truck. Lets talk about that for a moment. Most SUV's that I have seen the GAWR's added together added together are pretty close to the GVWR of the SUV. If you are that close to your GVWR and add the trailer tongue weight into the equation, how close are you to being overloaded on your rear axle?

Think about this....

Let's say your 4runner's rear overhang is 3' (distance from center of rear axle to the center of the ball your boat rides on) . Now we'll say that your wheel base is 10' (center of front wheel to center of back wheel). We know that your tongue weight is 500#. 500# being your force.  Force X Overhang / wheel base will give you how much weight you are removing from your front axle and adding to your rear axle when you put 500# of force on the trailer ball. 500 X 3 / 10 = 150#. So you 500# tongue weight is actually putting 650# on your rear axle.  ;)

JackJ:
Yep for sure something to think about, and will help me convince my wife I need a new tow vehicle  ;D

transamz9:

--- Quote ---And hopefully soon I will have a vehicle like a Sequoia that has a lot higher payload and towing capacity.
--- End quote ---

Let's use a Sequoia for an example. You said "And hopefully soon I will have a vehicle like a Sequoia that has a lot higher payload" . I will use a 2017 4Runner against a 2017 Sequoia.

Sequoia 4wd SR5 with 5.7 V8 has a GVWR 7300#. The Base curb weight with no added options is 5985#. That gives the larger you would think more capable Sequoia a payload of 1315# before adding anything.

4Runner TRD with 4.0 V6 has a GVWR of 6300#. The base curb weight with no added options is 4750#. That gives the smaller 4Runner a payload of 1550#.

Which is more capable now? You've already said that you figure that you add 1000 pounds to your 4Runner. That would leave you with 315# left on a Sequoia that is a base with no options.

transamz9:

--- Quote from: JackJ on December 28, 2016, 03:53:48 PM ---Yep for sure something to think about, and will help me convince my wife I need a new tow vehicle  ;D

--- End quote ---

Let's do something that's a little wild. Obviously you are a Toyota man so let's look at the almighty Space Shuttle towing Tundra. I mean that thing can tow the Space Shuttle it can surely handle a load right? Lets compare.......

2017 Tundra SR5 Crewmax 5.7 V8.

GVWR is 7200#. Base curb weight before adding any options is 5640#. That leaves you with a whopping 1550# of payload. Now, we have just bought us a truck so we want to make it look like a truck so we want to add a 200# grill guard to the front, maybe a 100# winch on that. Can't forget the big 10# light bars on the front and rear of the cab. Got to have a tool box right? I mean it is a truck. How much weight will that tool box hold?

Looking at the numbers, maybe you should stay with a 4Runner?

JackJ:
Hmm that is interesting.  I guess I need to find a new partner or have him lose weight.  (shrug)

The light weight of my 4runner is my biggest problem and I have towed with heavier SUV's and it makes a world of difference to me, and I feel a lot better about the 10000 towing capacity over the 5000 I have now..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version