BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 64
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: X19  (Read 27224 times)

Offline hotchkisshammer

• Guppy
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
X19
« on: January 01, 2017, 06:15:52 PM »
Hey guys.  New to the forum.  Lookin to buy a new x19 n lookin for a little advice on what hp to go with... leaning toward merc 150 4 stroke or 175 pro xs...  this will be my 1st bass boat. Right now i have 17' grizzly with a 40 jet so in in new water on knowin what to get. Gonna be runnin dual power poles n ive been told that affects performance some.  Opinions welcome....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
Re: X19
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 07:25:00 PM »
Welcome to the boards. I always suggest maxing out on the HP unless tourney rules say otherwise. I wished I'd got a 300 instead of the 250 on mine.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 09:22:33 PM »
@hotchkisshammer Welcome to BBB!

As @transamz9 said, I always recommend a boat buyer get whatever the maximum HP is that the boat is rated for. So if it's rated for a 200, buy it with that!

It's always better to buy the bigger motor than to not buy it and wish you had bought it  (yes)

By the way, Xpress makes some great boats. I like them a lot!

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline hotchkisshammer

• Guppy
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 09:51:03 PM »
Yeah i normally feel that way too. Just feel 200 is alot of motor for a 19ft tin boat. I dont need to be the fastest guy on the lake, but i would like to hear from a few x19 owners to know what they're gettin out of whatever motor they have on theirs...

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 11:19:53 AM »
I don't own an Xpress boat, but I have a G3. Mine is the HP180, with a Yamaha 150 HP outboard.

I get 53+ MPH out of mine with a manual jackplate. I haven't spent a lot of time making precise adjustments to my jackpplate, so I don't know if I have it setup optimally. But I do know that I'm glad I opted for the 150 HP since that's what my boat is rated for.

I also think my prop is pitched incorrectly, at 19. I think a 21 would be much better for top end without losing holeshot, but I don't want to spend $600 just to find out.

An X19 with a 200 is probably a 60+ MPH boat. If you're not worried about being the fastest, go with the 150 HP and save some cash. But keep in mind that if you add two Talons or Power Poles to the boat you may want that 200 HP to compensate for the weight of those hanging off your transom. Just some food for thought.   (hmm)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
    • Club website
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 01:27:41 PM »
Yeah i normally feel that way too. Just feel 200 is alot of motor for a 19ft tin boat. I dont need to be the fastest guy on the lake, but i would like to hear from a few x19 owners to know what they're gettin out of whatever motor they have on theirs...

It's not always about being the fastest boat, but having the reserve power to get out of trouble when needed. To me an under-powered boat is unsafe on big water with lots of other boats, but if you know you will only (likely not) be on small water then less could be best, but in the long run think about resale also, under-powered boats don't sell as well.
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 03:29:57 PM »
better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.   I make a bunch o cash repowering older rigs because guys make that mistake .   Go with simple math.  you make payments on it for say 5 years avg.   the diff in 150 and 200 in total over 5 years  is about 20.00 a month, The  cost of repowering after you realize you made a mistake is about 10,000 and trade in. and thats not financed.
      Those talons on the back affect hole shot big time. Its like taking off with drift socks out there ill u get that drag out of the water.  believe me I know.  I installed 2 on mine an lost about 4 seconds to get on plane.
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 05:33:30 PM »
@frugalangler and @bullet20dc have made some great points.  :nod:

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
    • Club website
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 10:50:03 AM »
@frugalangler and @bullet20dc have made some great points.  :nod:

Been there, done that, but traded the sled rather than re-powering it - a 200 on a 21 foot glass boat just didn't work!!!
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 11:59:46 AM »
I made the mistake of underpowering on my first bass boat. It was Tracker Pro 17. Came with a 40 HP instead of the 60 that it was rated for. Obviously on that type of boat we're not talking about 70 MPH. But even on entry level boats like that, it's still much better to buy the max the boat is rated for.

On my two other boats since then I bought the max HP for the boat. Never regretted it  (nope)

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 04:15:09 PM »
believe me I know from what I speak  been doing boats for 40 years  Buy the biggest u can put on her even if you have to skimp on other options to make it happen  prices of motors are going up every year and after you figure out the  "dam I screwed up" factor they went up a few thousand,  especially if you wanna stay with 2 stroke motors.  they are gonna go sky high really soon.
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline hotchkisshammer

• Guppy
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 02:35:06 AM »
I get what u guys are layin out, and i been there. But heres what has me thinking on it so much. You can pull up youtube videos of an x19 with a 200 sho doin over 80mph. Thats what i would call excessive... you can see the reading on his hds plain as day. That is what has me thinking i can be satisfied with less... jury just isnt in yet.

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 06:03:33 AM »
Do you run your vehicle as fast as it will go every time you drive it?

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 03:50:07 PM »
I get what u guys are layin out, and i been there. But heres what has me thinking on it so much. You can pull up youtube videos of an x19 with a 200 sho doin over 80mph. Thats what i would call excessive... you can see the reading on his hds plain as day. That is what has me thinking i can be satisfied with less... jury just isnt in yet.

Ok sounds like he either has the GPS set to kph or photoshopped     (giggle)   No 200 sho is gonna do 80 in stock form  dont care if its on a 17fter  If by chance he has a warmed over motor maybe or a nox setup   if you see that utube video again see if you can see the rpms   Im not doubting what You saw to be what you saw im doubting the accuracy of the video.   If its real that would be the fastest 200 Ive ever seen with the exception of on an early Alison
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2017, 04:33:59 PM »
Looking at the X19 listings on the BBC site, nearly all with a 200 list their top speed at 69-70.  With a 150, right at 60.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator