BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 177
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: X19  (Read 27889 times)

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
Re: X19
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 04:59:08 PM »
and we all know that sellers never exaggerate their top speed    look at the BBC Triton forum and see how many 85 mph tritons there are or Rangers that do 80  Ill give ya that there are some exceptions to some of them  70  with a 150 and a 5800 limiter  is a bit much  but might be doable  more like 60 65 ish  with a really good driver and a pad boat   but that extra 10 mph is really hard to achieve with a stock lower unit,  no low water pickup, a prop capable of letting the motor turn the rpms  and a non hydraulic jack plate  to achieve 80 u sacrifice hole shot without any of those option.
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline hotchkisshammer

• Guppy
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 07:22:02 PM »
Well if u guys are right then the 200 is what ill go with. Idk what the guy on youtube has done to his boat but he's haulin. Those videos are pretty easy to find, but he dont show anything on any of them except him runnin down the lake flat stick. Looks like he likes to ride more than fish. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2017, 07:43:50 PM »
If I were you I'd want to run some of those boats with different motors before buying and especially before adding the weight of power poles and their controllers to the back of the boat.  You may wind up with a very light front end.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2017, 05:53:15 AM »
Jig man is right on  Never buy a boat without trying it out first   Thats a lot of money to lay out on others opinions.  Buyers remorse is ok if you buy a rod and you end up not liking it but a major investment like a boat is a lot to live with if you are dissappointed.
You woudlnt buy a car or truck without driving it and a boat could end up costing more.
Weight distribution is critical in those rigs and addin poles on the back changes its handling considerably if incorrectly installed especially Talons like I found out.
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2017, 10:12:43 AM »
Looking at the X19 listings on another site, nearly all with a 200 list their top speed at 69-70.  With a 150, right at 60.

That would make perfect sense.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2017, 07:36:48 PM »
Looking at the X19 listings on another site, nearly all with a 200 list their top speed at 69-70.  With a 150, right at 60.

That would make perfect sense.

exactly  it sounds like u found a site with honest folks not with extra testosterone flowing     a typical 150 carb motor basically on any bass boat is 60 62 mph and typically for every 10hp add 2 mph   kind of a rule of thumb but again that 80mph barrier is a tough nut to crack   you deff need some bucks invested on top of the cost of the motor
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2017, 07:41:56 PM »

a typical 150 carb motor basically on any bass boat is 60 62 mph

That's a great rule of thumb!

So in light of that, my G3 HP180 with a 150 HP getting 53 MPH is way too slow, especially considering the light weight of the boat. This tells me that there is probably a prop issue.

My prop is a 19 pitch, which I think is way too little. Personally, I think it should be running a 21 or 23, but the factory set it up with a 19, so it has stayed at a 19.

I know that RPMs and some other variables come into play. WOT with the 19 is taching over 6000 RPMs.

I'd love to spend a day sometime this summer with someone who knows and understand jackplate adjustments, etc. with a 21 and a 23 pitch prop, testing my boat and its setup to see what could be done to get it performing better overall.

Not that I am trying to break records with it. I just want to get the most out of it that I can with that 150 Yamaha on it.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2017, 05:56:29 AM »
sounds like you have that motor sittin a little low on the transom.  Too much drag. 3 1/2 inches below the pad  from the nose of the bullet  to the lowest point on the hull (pad if you have one) is a good avg with out low water pickup.  Usually the 3rd hole from the top of the mount is where most end up.   Most riigers at boat dealers put them all the way down for a safety factor because they dont know what you are gonna load it up with or how youre gonna use it.  Im betting from what you describe as your rpms and pitch youre about 5 inches below.  Is it an aluminum prop or SS ,  3 blade or 4, added cup , hows the hole shot.   With a little more info you could be turning a 21 SS at 6200 and 60 62 mph.  With intake scoops and blocking off the top 3 intakes you can get that up to 3 inches above and get a few more mph. Every 1/4 of an inch up makes a HUGE diff believe it or not.   I dont know how you use your boat but for all around dependability and if you fish tournys and get a gravity challenged partner  (fat) leave it be. 
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2017, 07:53:14 AM »
sounds like you have that motor sittin a little low on the transom.  Too much drag. 3 1/2 inches below the pad  from the nose of the bullet  to the lowest point on the hull (pad if you have one) is a good avg with out low water pickup.  Usually the 3rd hole from the top of the mount is where most end up.   Most riigers at boat dealers put them all the way down for a safety factor because they dont know what you are gonna load it up with or how youre gonna use it.  Im betting from what you describe as your rpms and pitch youre about 5 inches below.  Is it an aluminum prop or SS ,  3 blade or 4, added cup , hows the hole shot.   With a little more info you could be turning a 21 SS at 6200 and 60 62 mph.  With intake scoops and blocking off the top 3 intakes you can get that up to 3 inches above and get a few more mph. Every 1/4 of an inch up makes a HUGE diff believe it or not.   I dont know how you use your boat but for all around dependability and if you fish tournys and get a gravity challenged partner  (fat) leave it be.

If I go to 1.5 inches below on my Z9 I get my fastest speed. Go any higher I lose speed. At 1.5 and a heavy load (passengers) I have a really hard time getting out of the hole without blowing out. I can blow it out at 1.75 below if I go full throttle but I can feather it and get a pretty good hole shot. I didn't raise mine for speed  I raised it for handling at speed. Mine came from the factory @ 3.5 below and above 65 it was a hand full. I very rarely run 65.....heck I rarely get over 50 but when I do I don't want to have to fight it. The farthest I've ever went with mine is 1.25 . I still had good H20 pressure with all holes open but I lost a significant amount of speed on top not to mention that I like to never got it to break over coming out of the hole. LOL

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
    • Club website
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2017, 08:13:39 AM »
Tranz, that's what adjustable jack's are for, plunge the LU for hole shot, lift the LU for plane speed
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2017, 10:57:46 AM »
theres adjustable and hydraulic   most are adjustable but tools are require  hydraulic is the way to go
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2017, 11:16:04 AM »

My prop is Stainless. 3 Blades

I have a manual jackplate. When I first installed it, I tried to match the height I had before the jp installation. My first WOT run with it that way resulted in a lot of porpoising and it was extremely prone to blowout on corners.

So I started lowering it a half inch at a time until the porpoising and the blowout went away. Ultimately, the jackplate ended up all the way down. Running it that way gives me a top end speed of 52+ with me and a partner (heavy partner). 95% of the time I fish alone, so I get a bit better performance, at 53+.

I haven't measured the distance from the pad (my boat does have a pad). I just basically kept tweaking until the porpoising and blowout stopped.

Probably the best I will get out of it unless I change props.

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
    • Club website
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2017, 02:07:53 PM »
I think you need to go back up a bit and look elsewhere for the porpoise issue, usually trim/load in my experience. That boat should easily run at -3.5" +/- maybe 3/4"
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2017, 03:49:27 PM »
I think you need to go back up a bit and look elsewhere for the porpoise issue, usually trim/load in my experience.

The porpoising happened if I trimmed up even just the tiniest little bit while on plane.

That boat should easily run at -3.5" +/- maybe 3/4"

Not sure what you mean by that. I'm assuming you're referring to outboard height? As you can tell, I've never gotten too much into the technical aspects of boat performance.

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2017, 04:58:09 PM »
I think you need to go back up a bit and look elsewhere for the porpoise issue, usually trim/load in my experience.

The porpoising happened if I trimmed up even just the tiniest little bit while on plane.

That boat should easily run at -3.5" +/- maybe 3/4"

Not sure what you mean by that. I'm assuming you're referring to outboard height? As you can tell, I've never gotten too much into the technical aspects of boat performance.

That is correct. He is referring to you prop to pad measurement. On a planing hull especially at slow speeds the trim is very sensitive. I don't even touch my trim until at least 35-40 MPH If I do it will porpoise pretty bad. Even at 40-50 I can't raise my trim very high or it will start to porpoise. Not bad but it will hop some. My boat is very heavy in the front.  Raise your plate back up to around 3.5" to start and go from there. You should be running in the mid to high 50's loaded to fish and keep it trimmed down until you get some speed. You have to learn YOUR boat and how it responds. If you give it some trim either bump it back down a couple bumps or speed up a little.   

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal