BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 194
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Prop question  (Read 19747 times)

Offline Sully401

• Guppy
  • You got the big ones out there eatin the little on
  • Referrals: 0
    • Sullivan Brownhill fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 6.15 LMB 5.07 SMB
Prop question
« on: January 20, 2017, 10:06:16 AM »
Hey everyone!

Been doing some light research but figured it was time to ask around as well. I currently own a 99 Mercury force 40hp outboard on my 2001 track PT 175 boat. I bought the boat this summer and really have not done much to it yet. But now that its winter i am looking to try and improve to motor a bit for the 2017 season. Just above the prop on my motor is a sticker that indicates: 13x26 2.00:1   

The boat came with two props. the prop i am currently using doesnt actually have a size indication on the inside of it, here is what is reads: 48-81670814  The second prop however has a clear size reading on the inside and states its a 38x14p prop.

With the 38x14p prop i have a pretty good holeshot but not much top end. GPS indicated around 26mph. With the other prop (thats for sure smaller) i have an ok holeshot and get about 28mph.

I have read that done right these 40hp motors can push around 30-35mph and i would obviously love to achieve that. With all of this being said the motor itself does need some attention....she needs a new voltage regulator and possible stator as well and of course, a good carb cleaning as the previous owner said he only used the boat 2-3 times a season.

With motor stuff put aside im just curious what people think i should try for a prop for this season. im looking to achieve the best top end i can get without totally killing my holeshot.

Thanks in advance!
Duckett fishing RPS
Netbait RPS
Ardent outdoors RPS

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Re: Prop question
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 03:06:10 PM »
Hey Sully!

First off, let's talk about realistic expectations for a 17 ft. aluminum boat with a 40 HP outboard. Assuming that you have power trim and tilt, you can realistically expect to get about 32 MPH out of it under ideal conditions and two people in the boat. Maybe a tiny bit more, but only under perfect conditions.

Now, regarding your props, I'm willing to bet there is a number stamped somewhere on that one prop, but it might be hidden under paint or something. Who knows? But, with regard to the number on that other prop, 38x14 doesn't sound right to me. The 14 does, but the 38 doesn't make sense. The 14 should be the pitch and the other number should be the diameter. Can you check those numbers again and make sure of what they are?

Also, if you have manual trim, and not power trim, you will never get optimal top speed out of the boat, since your outboard will be in a fixed position that will be a compromise between good holeshot and top end speed.

You can also try playing with the height of your outboard by moving it to different holes. Moving it up one set of holes will usually give you pretty drastic changes, but not always positive changes. But be careful not to raise it too high so you don't end up losing water pressure.

Lots to consider here. But remember to keep it realistic in your expectations because MPH cost a lot for a little return on your spend  :thumbup:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Sully401

• Guppy
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 08:48:46 PM »
Thanks for for the reply curt! Yes I am wel aware that I could spend a lot and not get much in return. If I could achieve even 32mph in the boat I would be ecstatic. With that being said. I know my motor needs some attention and this topic specifically is just me asking around for what prop size and diameter would allow my motor to perform at its top end. I attached the photos of the inside of my props that I took. The props do both have serial numbers stamped on the outside but I'm not quite sure if that will help at all. Cheers!
Duckett fishing RPS
Netbait RPS
Ardent outdoors RPS

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 09:16:37 PM »
Prop diameter and pitch are usually stamped on the outside of the prop itself, not on the hub. So my guess is that you're looking at part numbers for the hubs. These would be unrelated to the prop specs.

The sticker on your motor is probably also unrelated to the prop, related to the lower unit.. possibly the gearcase?

@bullet20dc Do you have any feedback on this one?

Also, I read a post today of a person selling a Tracker 17 footer with a 50 HP Merc 2 stroke, and he is getting 32 MPH from that boat with 2 people and a full load. So the 32 MPH goal with your 49 HP might be unrealistic, but maybe 30 would be attainable with some tweaking of motor height, correct prop, etc.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 10:30:58 PM »
You have not stated anything about rpms.  Do you have a tachometer?  If so what rpms are you turning with each prop?
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 12:13:41 AM »
First photo = prop specs. Partly worn away but looks like 10(?).38 (diam) x 14P (pitch)

2nd photo = gearcase ratio. Tooth count is 13 and 26, hence a 2:1 ratio

3rd photo = prop part number

Where prop specs are on a prop are purely based on manufacturer. Most OMC prop specs are cast in rear face of hub. Mercs seem to be stamped on the barrel from the couple I've had. Any identifying marks for work done by prop guys will probably be on the barrel.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 12:23:44 AM by Nightmare »

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 07:42:15 AM »

those pics show exactly what nitey stated (pinion 13 tooth ring 26 tooth, )you need a mfg ref manual to cross ref the serial numbers on those other 2 pics to what model it is as far as pitch goes Im surprised there is no stamping on the barrel outside. OK now for the info your looking for.
first off we need the rpms as also stated before Your really trying to do something here that most dont really do. 40hp motors arent built to do anything but push a boat along and get home. you're trying to max it out but it isnt a strong enough motor to put a one size fits all fix on it. today youre alone and u have prop A on it for max performance, tomorow you go with your bud prop A isnt gonna work you need more grunt. with more power the diff is sorta noticable but with a 40 the diff is significant. I know this prob isnt what you wanna hear but I aint tryin to sell u props my suggestion is , take that motor for what it is and use it with a strong running SS prop prob in the 14 15 pitch range 12 1/2- 13 in diam. see if you can try before buy somewhere But I dont think youre gonna get more then 30 on a great day closer to 28 29 and thats with nothing in it. Youre asking a lot from a small tender type motor
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 09:31:18 PM »

I dont think youre gonna get more then 30 on a great day closer to 28 29 and thats with nothing in it.

That's pretty much what I figured too.

Offline Sully401

• Guppy
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 09:17:59 AM »
Thanks for the info guys! This info has helped quite a bit. Im certainly not trying to push my motor to its limit i would rather take a few MPH less and have a longer life on the motor without a doubt. Most of the reading i have done has people suggesting to try props in the 12-13 Dia and 12-14P. Im currently working on replacing my Voltage regulator in the motor and once i do that ill get my tach back and working and i can start to get into more specifics with the prop. I know i have mentioned some goals i would like to achieve but this ( for now) is more of a general inquiry into what people think i should try for prop sizes. I will search around and see if there is a place i can try different props before i buy.
Duckett fishing RPS
Netbait RPS
Ardent outdoors RPS

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 10:15:51 AM »
I will search around and see if there is a place i can try different props before i buy.

@Sully401 Let me know if you find a place that does this!

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
    • Club website
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 08:34:38 PM »

3rd photo = prop part number

looks like a merc black max prop
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 08:36:16 PM by frugalangler »
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax