BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 169
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: USB Flash Drive Not Recognized by Ford Sync  (Read 11447 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
USB Flash Drive Not Recognized by Ford Sync
« on: February 02, 2017, 08:37:14 PM »
Here's a tip for anyone who owns a Ford vehicle with Sync, using a USB flash drive to play their music.

I have a 64GB Sandisk flash drive that I use to store and play music from in my truck.

Earlier this week, I formatted this drive using my Windows 10 PC. Windows 10 offers two different file systems; NTFS or EXFAT.

Since FAT32 wasn't available, I chose EXFAT.

Unfortunately, Sync doesn't recognize EXFAT devices, so plugging my flash drive into my truck generated an error message telling me that the USB device wasn't recognized.

I did some digging and found that it is possible to format using FAT32 from a Command Prompt (DOS Window). So I tried formatting the flash drive using this method. But it eventually generated an error saying that the drive was too big to be formatted as FAT32.

Back to the drawing board  (fp)

After more digging, I found a piece of freeware that allows you to format various types of drives using a user-friendly interface, and also lets you choose which file system you want to use.

Long story short, I was able to format my flash drive using FAT32 and then load about 15GB of music onto it and play it again in my truck.  :nod:

I hope this will help anyone else who might run into this problem. Or maybe it will help someone avoid the problem altogether!

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
Re: USB Flash Drive Not Recognized by Ford Sync
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 05:50:04 AM »
fat32 has a partitionsize  limit I believe not sure   couldnt you have partitioned it into smaller chunks on the pc and used it that way
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 10:20:14 AM »
fat32 has a partition size  limit I believe not sure   couldnt you have partitioned it into smaller chunks on the pc and used it that way

FAT32 has a size limit if you try to format it using Windows. And since the Command Prompt is a Windows utility, that limitation carries over. But, partitioning utilities will override that limitation quite easily.

And it came from the factory as FAT32. So they obviously have ways to use FAT32 on larger drives  :nod:

I could probably have partitioned it into a few different chunks, but since I use it solely for my truck, to play music, there was no sense in breaking it up.

By the way, the utility I used is here: http://www.disk-partition.com/

It's 100% free, and there is no adware in it. So it's safe to download and install.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
  • Referrals: 0
    • Club website
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 11:16:09 AM »
I use a 128G SSD in a USB case for my music on the go, I've not found a vehicle yet it won't play in.
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 05:48:30 PM »
I use a 128G SSD in a USB case for my music on the go, I've not found a vehicle yet it won't play in.

That's a good idea. Tons of storage! I just use the flash drive for the small size and ease of use. The one in my truck pretty much stays there full time, with the exception of when I bring it in the house to add or remove music. And I figure 64GB should hold me over for quite a while  :nod:

And it's recognized by everything, too, provided that it's using the right file system  (giggle)

Offline Edelstein

• Guppy
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 04:23:14 AM »
Thanks Curt mine recognizes it now.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 10:11:30 AM »
Thanks Curt mine recognizes it now.

@Edelstein You're welcome!  :nod:

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal