Bass Boat Mods > Small Boat Mods

14' Jon boat tiller to steering wheel

(1/13) > >>

evansjoem:
I have a 1985 15hp Evinrude.  I want to switch to a steering wheel instead of the tiller.  What do I need to accomplish this task?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evansjoem:
im gonna build a console on the right side of boat

Curt:
@evansjoem  Once the console is built, you'll need to buy a steering wheel and a set of controls to run the outboard.

If I'm not mistaken, you will also need to make some changes to the outboard itself to accommodate being run from the console, instead of being run by a tiller.

It's unlikely that you will be able to buy these items new in light of the age of the outboard. So you'll need to do some digging online to find what you need.

Maybe some of the other guys here can shed some light on the best place to get these kinds of items.

By the way, welcome to the site  :nod:

frugalangler:
Curt is correct, the parts will be scarce. Converting an old tiller to remote is not difficult from the aspect of controlling steering, but the throttle/shift linkage is where the scarce parts come in to play.

Generally, most  will advise unless you can find a donor remote control motor, the juice is not worth the squeeze, meaning you're gonna struggle to find parts, the economics of the cost, the work to retrofit the motor (unless you're a marine mechanic) my recommendation would be either:

* Stay with the tiller, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

* eBay/Craigs List the old motor and buy a new Tohatsu (or other, but Merc's are made by Tohatsu as are Nisan) remote steer capable
If you go with #2, that leaves only acquiring the steering wheel, the control cables, the shift/throttle pod, and fabricating the console and side mount for the shift/throttle pod.

I have a similar pair of boats, and I chose to stay tiller, even though I have a complete shop it came down to not wanting to waist the space the console consumed, they simply get in the way on a small boat.

Probably not the kind words you wanted to hear, but been there, didn't do it. Just wasn't worth the effort.

evansjoem:
This guy says it is a 93 Evinrude 15hp but is identical to mine

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version