Bass Boat Mods > Small Boat Mods

14' Jon boat tiller to steering wheel

<< < (2/13) > >>

frugalangler:
that's the steering components, if I'm seeing the picture correct, but what about shift/throttle linkage, I don't see those in the picture

Curt:

--- Quote from: frugalangler on February 08, 2017, 01:42:00 PM ---that's the steering components, if I'm seeing the picture correct, but what about shift/throttle linkage, I don't see those in the picture

--- End quote ---

Those were my thoughts exactly. I don't see the cable for the shifting, throttle, etc. Only see the steering mechanism.

And I tend to agree with @frugalangler when it comes to the work and cost involved vs. the benefits of the conversion. But, it's your boat, your time and your money, so the final decision is really up to you.

Oh, and keep in mind also that adding a console and all of the stuff that would go with the steering and throttle conversion (mostly the console) will add some weight to the boat, which might adversely affect your boat's performance. Just some food for thought  (hmm)

evansjoem:
Ya I have some aluminum scrap that I'm going to tig together.  Not too concerned with weight yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evansjoem:
I can fabricate my own levers if need be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frugalangler:

--- Quote from: evansjoem on February 08, 2017, 03:45:01 PM ---I can fabricate my own levers if need be

--- End quote ---

I respect your ability for fabrication, but I caution (not knowing fully your ability) to keep safety in mind when doing this, as a broken throttle mechanism when at speed that doesn't shut down properly spells TROUBLE in a hurry.

If you do pull this off, document your build with photos and post back as a thread to the modification forum for all to see and learn from, that's what this community is all about!

So, back to your original question, I think you've located part of the equation, the steering linkage for the motor. Beyond that, a helm mount that will couple with that steering cable (it's a single cable setup), the shift linkage and lever, throttle linkage and lever, and connecting cables - all of which will be dependent on your motor for one end, the other you will need to fabricate your lever connectors based on what cable ends come on the cables. And, one VERY critical piece:

DO NOT FORGET a safety dead-man switch that has a cable to attach to the driver, a run-away boat is not a good thing, seen them and they scare the XXXX out of ya, go check some you-tube videos! An ignition switch would be the other item.

good luck with your build

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version