Electronics Forums > Humminbird Forum

Transducer Kicking Up

(1/4) > >>

Curt:
I have a 798 CI HD SI that I run at my console. My transducer is mounted on the transom.

I have noticed over the last couple of seasons that I'm having increasing trouble with the transducer kicking up when I put the boat on plane. This is obviously due to the drag it creates when the boat is running on plane.

I know I could move the transducer up so it would have less drag when running, but then it fails to read at speed. So I am guessing that I either need to add a second transducer for high speed, which I hope won't also kick up on plane, or run a second unit for speed.

I still have the old Garmin unit that came with the boat. I never had a single problem with that unit reading on plane. So I'm thinking it might be a good idea to reinstall that unit as my speed unit and use the bird only for fishing.

Suggestions or thoughts?

JackJ:
I would think the best way to get readings at moderate speeds would be a thru-hull type.

When I had one mounted on my Dads aluminium it was a transom mount also, and I had it mounted about 1/16" below the edge of the boat and it would work somewhat at speeds.
So if your way down in the water just try raising it up a bit.

bullet20dc:
1/16 below as mentioned but trailing edge just slightly lower    check for a smooth transition on the hull in the path of the ducer. any dents dings will cause air bubbles

Curt:
This transducer is mounted in the same exact location as the previous one. The old one read flawlessly at top speed, so I know the location is good. But I will take a look at the bottom to see if there are new dents or dings along that area.

I wish I could shoot through the hull, but I don't know how viable that is with a tin boat. It isn't riveted, so there isn't the problem of turbulence from rivets, but I don't know how effective a through hull mount would be or if it's even worth considering.

Curt:
By the way, a buddy of mine is going to give me a different transducer that I can use when running at speeds and then use my current transducer while fishing. I just need to buy a Y cable so I can connect both transducers at the same time.

I'm not familiar with this kind of setup, so I will sort it out and post updates here when/if I get it setup that way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version