BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 174
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: More on My Adventures With Braid  (Read 15356 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
More on My Adventures With Braid
« on: May 13, 2017, 07:29:59 PM »
Well, since rigging up a spinning rod with braid, I have caught a handful of fish on it. ANd here's my feedback so far.

First, I have to say that I am really liking this braid overall. It behaves nicely and has given me no trouble at all.

The hooksets are great, as is the sensitivity. I had forgotten how sensitive braid is compared to mono!  :nod:

On my first outing with it last weekend, I landed one bass on it. Getting a good hook set is effortless. The leader I used worked great.

Today I used it again in another tourney. It was a tough day, with no limits caught. I had 4 fish, which was good enough to win it  :D

But regarding the braid, I used that setup to catch 3 of the 4 keeper fish I caught as well as one short.

The fist fish I caught with it was a LMB under 2 lbs. I landed the fish with no incidents, checked the hook for sharpness, checked the leader to make sure it wasn't frayed and then started fishing again.

A short tie later I made a cast and the leader, shaky head and worm all went bye bye  :crying:

The braid and leader came apart, so apparently it was a knot failure. I was just thankful that it didn't happen while playing that first fish  :nod:

So in light of the fact that I didn't have my spool of fluoro leader with me, I opted to tie the next shaky head directly to the braid with a Palomar knot. I wasn't too sure about doing this, since I was fishing a small rock pile and I know how much braid and rocks don't mix well. But I figured I'd give it a go.

A while later I felt another bite and landed a keeper smallie. And a short time later I got another bite and landed my biggest LMB of the day, a fat 2 1/2 lber. that had the tail of another fish sticking out of its throat  (giggle)

Through the rest of the tourney I only landed one more short bass.

So my experience today made me love the braid even more. But I'm also troubled by the separation of the braid and leader. I obviously did something wrong when tying on fresh leader last night while prepping my equipment. I was in a bit of a hurry last night when tying that knot (Alberto Knot), so maybe that's why it failed. It still bothers me, though, so I will make sure I go back and watch the video again to make sure I tied it right.

I will definitely keep working at this because having braid on this rod is the reason I bought the rod, to be used primarily for shaky head setups.

Oh, and this is my first season throwing the shaky head setup. So far, I really, really like it!!  (yes) (yes)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Re: More on My Adventures With Braid
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 09:20:29 AM »
What #/diameter braid and leader.

Did you glue the knot?
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 11:34:39 AM »
What #/diameter braid and leader.

Did you glue the knot?

15 lb. test. braid (23mm). 12 lb. leader (33mm).

And no, I didn't glue the knot. Nobody anywhere in any of the videos has mentioned gluing the knot. But I suppose it would be a good idea, and I have heard it mentioned by others in the past when discussing joining braid and leader material.

The first time I tied this knot and used it, which was last weekend, it worked with no problems. The only reason I re-tied it this Friday night was because I had cut and re-tied the leader enough times on the water to make it very short, so I wanted a fresh leader for the tourney.

I'm just glad it didn't come undone when playing my first fish or I would have been seriously bummed out and would have missed out on a first place finish because of it.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 02:36:49 PM »
When I used braid with a fluro leader, I glued my knots.  I put a very small amount of Krazy glue on it then I wet my finger and thumb and rolled the knot between them.   I used liquid glue so I could use the smallest amount and keep the knot small.

Noe I just use straight fluro.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 04:12:01 PM »
When I used braid with a fluro leader, I glued my knots.  I put a very small amount of Krazy glue on it then I wet my finger and thumb and rolled the knot between them.   I used liquid glue so I could use the smallest amount and keep the knot small.

Noe I just use straight fluro.

Thanks for the info. So you're no longer using braid?

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 05:37:41 PM »
Seldom.  Mostly straight fluro.

Offline Eric Low

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 06:36:39 PM »
Don't give up. Worth it. Important to test whatever knot you use. If it is going to fail it will usually go early. Those of us with eyes over 50 "err" on occasion.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 09:57:09 PM »
Don't give up. Worth it. Important to test whatever knot you use. If it is going to fail it will usually go early. Those of us with eyes over 50 "err" on occasion.

Agreed on all points!

Funny thing is that I gave that knot some really good test pulls right after I tied it and it held up. Even made it through that first fish. Don't know what went wrong.  (shrug)

But I'm definitely not giving up!  (nope)

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 07:52:00 AM »
I watched a video of Shaw Grigsby tying his braid to fluro knot.  He uses a uni knot and a clinch knot with 12 wraps.  He called it a small knot but it did not look small to me.

I fish lots of places where the life expectancy of a bait is one cast.  Over the years I found that many times the break would occur at the leader knot.  This happened no matter which knot I used.  Some of the knots I used were Albright,  Alberto,  double uni, and triple surgeon.

Retying  in the wind about drove me nuts.  So I quit.  I recently saw a video on the FG knot.  If I can learn to tie it quickly I may go back to braid because I love the feel.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 07:38:32 AM by Jig Man »

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 10:42:17 AM »
If I can learn to tie it quickly I may go back to braid because I love the feel.

The feel is what I am really liking about braid. I had forgotten how much more you can feel with braid vs. mono, or even fluoro.

I could feel every little pebble that my shakey head was dragging across, and bite detection was pretty much a no-brainer. On top of all that, hook sets are 100% with half the effort of mono.  :nod:

I'll keep practicing with the knots and get it right. I will not give up.  (nope)

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 06:29:02 PM »
ive since switched this spring  to bright yellow 30lb braid with a 12 lb 6 foot floro leader using the albright knot ( that double clinch is too hard to tie on a rolling boat in wind) and ALWAYS glue the knot on all my spinning rods involving plastics  ie, tube, senko, texas rig etc.  was up at oneida lake this past 8 days  caught 79 smallies and 12 LM most in the 3 to 4lb range and a bunch of 5s even 2 close to 6 lbs   the lake was on fire during the storms we had they were gobblin up gobies.  they were so fat anyway  i wanted to try the yellow braid  Man I really like the fact that I can see a sunfish fart anywhere near my bait  that line is just so ez to see and sensitive  not sure it will work on flippin direct even if I blacken the first 6 feet without a heavy floro leader but ill be trying it   I wont ever go back to a black braid  Im gonna experiment and make this yellow work.   I talked to a few guys up there using the nanofil bright white line for the same reason and they were having good results on it
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 09:21:19 PM »
ive since switched this spring  to bright yellow 30lb braid with a 12 lb 6 foot floro leader using the albright knot. Man I really like the fact that I can see a sunfish fart anywhere near my bait.  that line is just so ez to see and sensitive  not sure it will work on flippin direct even if I blacken the first 6 feet without a heavy floro leader but ill be trying it   I wont ever go back to a black braid  Im gonna experiment and make this yellow work.   I talked to a few guys up there using the nanofil bright white line for the same reason and they were having good results on it

You hit the nail on the head with the dark colored braid, especially in the 15 lb. range and under. It's next to impossible to see unless you tilt your head and move your rod tip a hundred different ways  (fp)

Keep us updated on the yellow stuff and let us know how it goes. I personally can't see a problem using it for flipping if you do something to camouflage the first few feet.  (nope)

BTW.. sounds like some great fishing on your trip!!  (yes)

Offline andyfender

• Guppy
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 08:50:43 PM »
I've had it with straight fluorocarbon on my spinning reels. I recently changed all of my spinning reels over to braid with a leader. I used this in the past but never stayed with it long enough. Kinda have OCD with line. (hmm)

This time I have committed myself to using it. I used the alberto knot in the past and never had any issues with the knot failing. I know the FG knot is very popular on the internet these days, not going to change the Alberto knot is slim, secure and easy to tie.

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 07:41:34 AM »
I haven't used anything except hi vis yellow or white braid for several years.  I can't see the black or green.  I'm kicking around the idea of going to braid for Ned fishing.  If I do I plan to use at least a 30' fluro leader so maybe I can avoid retying the leader during a day's fishing.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 08:28:51 PM »
I haven't been fishing any rocky lakes recently, so I have been sticking with just the straight 15 lb. braid on this one spinning outfit. It's been working well for me  :nod:

I have an upcoming tourney on a weedy lake, so I'm considering trying a 5 inch Senko style bait on that rod & reel, with the straight braid.

Anyone else fish Senkos with braid? If so, what's your opinion on it?

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal