Bass Fishing Forums > Fishing Line

More on My Adventures With Braid

(1/4) > >>

Curt:
Well, since rigging up a spinning rod with braid, I have caught a handful of fish on it. ANd here's my feedback so far.

First, I have to say that I am really liking this braid overall. It behaves nicely and has given me no trouble at all.

The hooksets are great, as is the sensitivity. I had forgotten how sensitive braid is compared to mono!  :nod:

On my first outing with it last weekend, I landed one bass on it. Getting a good hook set is effortless. The leader I used worked great.

Today I used it again in another tourney. It was a tough day, with no limits caught. I had 4 fish, which was good enough to win it  :D

But regarding the braid, I used that setup to catch 3 of the 4 keeper fish I caught as well as one short.

The fist fish I caught with it was a LMB under 2 lbs. I landed the fish with no incidents, checked the hook for sharpness, checked the leader to make sure it wasn't frayed and then started fishing again.

A short tie later I made a cast and the leader, shaky head and worm all went bye bye  :crying:

The braid and leader came apart, so apparently it was a knot failure. I was just thankful that it didn't happen while playing that first fish  :nod:

So in light of the fact that I didn't have my spool of fluoro leader with me, I opted to tie the next shaky head directly to the braid with a Palomar knot. I wasn't too sure about doing this, since I was fishing a small rock pile and I know how much braid and rocks don't mix well. But I figured I'd give it a go.

A while later I felt another bite and landed a keeper smallie. And a short time later I got another bite and landed my biggest LMB of the day, a fat 2 1/2 lber. that had the tail of another fish sticking out of its throat  (giggle)

Through the rest of the tourney I only landed one more short bass.

So my experience today made me love the braid even more. But I'm also troubled by the separation of the braid and leader. I obviously did something wrong when tying on fresh leader last night while prepping my equipment. I was in a bit of a hurry last night when tying that knot (Alberto Knot), so maybe that's why it failed. It still bothers me, though, so I will make sure I go back and watch the video again to make sure I tied it right.

I will definitely keep working at this because having braid on this rod is the reason I bought the rod, to be used primarily for shaky head setups.

Oh, and this is my first season throwing the shaky head setup. So far, I really, really like it!!  (yes) (yes)

Jig Man:
What #/diameter braid and leader.

Did you glue the knot?

Curt:

--- Quote from: Jig Man on May 14, 2017, 09:20:29 AM ---What #/diameter braid and leader.

Did you glue the knot?

--- End quote ---

15 lb. test. braid (23mm). 12 lb. leader (33mm).

And no, I didn't glue the knot. Nobody anywhere in any of the videos has mentioned gluing the knot. But I suppose it would be a good idea, and I have heard it mentioned by others in the past when discussing joining braid and leader material.

The first time I tied this knot and used it, which was last weekend, it worked with no problems. The only reason I re-tied it this Friday night was because I had cut and re-tied the leader enough times on the water to make it very short, so I wanted a fresh leader for the tourney.

I'm just glad it didn't come undone when playing my first fish or I would have been seriously bummed out and would have missed out on a first place finish because of it.

Jig Man:
When I used braid with a fluro leader, I glued my knots.  I put a very small amount of Krazy glue on it then I wet my finger and thumb and rolled the knot between them.   I used liquid glue so I could use the smallest amount and keep the knot small.

Noe I just use straight fluro.

Curt:

--- Quote from: Jig Man on May 14, 2017, 02:36:49 PM ---When I used braid with a fluro leader, I glued my knots.  I put a very small amount of Krazy glue on it then I wet my finger and thumb and rolled the knot between them.   I used liquid glue so I could use the smallest amount and keep the knot small.

Noe I just use straight fluro.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the info. So you're no longer using braid?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version