Bass Fishing Forums > Fishing Line

More on My Adventures With Braid

<< < (2/4) > >>

Jig Man:
Seldom.  Mostly straight fluro.

Eric Low:
Don't give up. Worth it. Important to test whatever knot you use. If it is going to fail it will usually go early. Those of us with eyes over 50 "err" on occasion.

Curt:

--- Quote from: Eric Low on May 14, 2017, 06:36:39 PM ---Don't give up. Worth it. Important to test whatever knot you use. If it is going to fail it will usually go early. Those of us with eyes over 50 "err" on occasion.

--- End quote ---

Agreed on all points!

Funny thing is that I gave that knot some really good test pulls right after I tied it and it held up. Even made it through that first fish. Don't know what went wrong.  (shrug)

But I'm definitely not giving up!  (nope)

Jig Man:
I watched a video of Shaw Grigsby tying his braid to fluro knot.  He uses a uni knot and a clinch knot with 12 wraps.  He called it a small knot but it did not look small to me.

I fish lots of places where the life expectancy of a bait is one cast.  Over the years I found that many times the break would occur at the leader knot.  This happened no matter which knot I used.  Some of the knots I used were Albright,  Alberto,  double uni, and triple surgeon.

Retying  in the wind about drove me nuts.  So I quit.  I recently saw a video on the FG knot.  If I can learn to tie it quickly I may go back to braid because I love the feel.

Curt:

--- Quote from: Jig Man on May 15, 2017, 07:52:00 AM ---If I can learn to tie it quickly I may go back to braid because I love the feel.

--- End quote ---

The feel is what I am really liking about braid. I had forgotten how much more you can feel with braid vs. mono, or even fluoro.

I could feel every little pebble that my shakey head was dragging across, and bite detection was pretty much a no-brainer. On top of all that, hook sets are 100% with half the effort of mono.  :nod:

I'll keep practicing with the knots and get it right. I will not give up.  (nope)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version