BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 185
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: First run of new mold  (Read 20072 times)

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
  • Referrals: 0
    • Club website
First run of new mold
« on: May 17, 2017, 09:20:20 AM »
Made up some new soft plastics to try on my NED - I've had great success with a similar YUM trailer but it's only now available in white or chartreuse, so I'm gonna try these since the darker colors work on my waters.

FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
Re: First run of new mold
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 11:28:58 AM »
Good luck to you and let us know how they work.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 06:15:14 PM »
That looks really cool. Definitely let us know how they work!

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
    • Club website
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 02:23:47 PM »
It definitely works! Not quite what I expected, it's a little too big for a Ned Rig, but plain old Texas rigged it was great, I had 2 different colors with me, the one in the pic and one that is a dark blue/black mix w/ glitter, and they both caught fish in slab rocks in 3' to 8' of water, so I'm pleased.

Since this one is bigger than what I wanted for the Ned, I've ordered a new smaller mold so I'll post up a pic of the result and let you guys see that one.
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 08:17:51 AM »
I'll be interested to find out how it works as well as if or not the perch drive you nuts this summer.

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
    • Club website
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 09:05:36 AM »
I'll let you know, but in all honesty I rarely get bothered by the little guys, perch, bluegill, warmouth, etc. What I HAVE found is that the drum LOVE the Ned Rig, but that's OK, cause around here the drum love the muscle beds, and where they are the smallies are very close by, usually just a bit deeper or further from shore, so if I catch a drum, I back out a little 'cause I know I'm in the right area.
Example, last weekend over 4 days, the Ned caught probably over 75 bass, mostly smallies and spots, but only 1 bluegill and one giant crappie about 14". I have noticed that if I use a chartreuse tipped green-pumpkin 1/2 senko (Yum makes one I use a lot) I get bothered by the little guys a bit more, but when that color is on the bass don't let them bother it much.

FYI, I know you fish Stockton a lot, when I've fished it I've found even though the water is VERY clear, my 'muddy water' color works exceptionally well - it's a black/blue flaked BPS stick (senko) - folks look at me like are you blind, the water is too clear for that color but I just laugh. Try it next time you're on Stockton.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:09:11 AM by frugalangler »
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 03:43:09 PM »
I have noticed that if I use a chartreuse tipped green-pumpkin 1/2 senko

I've found the same thing here too, no matter what body of water or what soft plastic bait I'm fishing. A chartreuse, bright blue or pink tip or tail equals lots of perch and bluegill bites  :rolleyes:

But, if the bass are on them, like you mentioned, the bluegill bites are less and the bass bites make up for them  :nod:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 08:02:31 AM »
That has been a good color late in the evening I've not tried it with bright sun.  I'll have to give it a try.   Yesterday I got my butt kicked by my s-I-l.  I was using a June bug and he was using a gp/gobie.  He had 4 in a row while I had no bites.  I had to switch to it in order to stand a chance.

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
    • Club website
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 03:35:03 PM »
Got the new mole yesterday, and immediately had to try it. Here's a pic of the result, on the left (2 colors, motor oil and black/blue, with the jig I pour and use (pre-powdercoating) and a white example of the one I am attempting to get close to, with a 1/2 5" Senko for size comparison. the new ones have a extra tentacle on the side, I can snip off or leave, depending on what the fish tell me to do LOL
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 03:36:51 PM by frugalangler »
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 05:49:58 PM »
Can't really tell is the white spinnerbait trailer pearl or is that just the light?

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
    • Club website
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 09:37:15 AM »
Can't really tell is the white spinnerbait trailer pearl or is that just the light?
good catch, yea the light was poor where I keep the stock, and in my haste I grabbed the white pearl thinking it was the white.

I actually use 4 different Yum trailers, here's three - Chartreuse, White, and White/pearl.

I've got a couple others, one which is White w/ red tips, didn't have any handy to shoot a pic of. The other is no longer available, which is what started this quest, as it's been my money bait - it's a Silver/Gray with silver and black flake - but it's not available anymore. Hence, I've started this adventure, first with colors from collected dead plastics, but I've got new plastisol and flakes and colorant to duplicate the color of the 'money' bait, plus I've got an Erie Green color that I throw in a tube with great success for smallies, and I'll be duplicating that color in this finesse rig bait. I'll shoot pics of them when I get them poured.

I also plan to experiment with using a different tip color on the darker baits, like Chartreuse and White on the Motor Oil, Green Pumpkin, and Black/Blue to see if it adds to the mix. Making different color tips is a labor though, you essentially pour the tip bait, cut off the body, and delicately place the tips back in the mold, then pour (inject) the body color and hope it bonds to the existing tips adequately - it's somewhat hit and miss - and success rate is a little over 70%, very time consuming but if they catch fish it's worth it. Plus, the cost is right, especially if I use salvaged plastic for the bodies.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 09:41:37 AM by frugalangler »
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 11:49:57 AM »
Do you make any of those trailers or buy them?  I bought some similar to those at the Bass Pro Shop catalog outlet.  I took them and made a bondo mold.  Here is a pic with some of them.

I do some of the tail changing.  You are right is not done pretty fast small pieces don't stick well.  What I do with my tubes is shoot the tail color then dip the whole tube in the body color.  It makes it larger but is easier.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 11:52:40 AM by Jig Man »

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 08:34:20 PM »
Got the new mole yesterday, and immediately had to try it. Here's a pic of the result, on the left (2 colors, motor oil and black/blue, with the jig I pour and use (pre-powdercoating) and a white example of the one I am attempting to get close to, with a 1/2 5" Senko for size comparison. the new ones have a extra tentacle on the side, I can snip off or leave, depending on what the fish tell me to do LOL

I really like the looks of those. I bet they'll work really well for you.  :nod:

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
    • Club website
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 09:16:08 AM »
Do you make any of those trailers or buy them? .........

The last pic of the 3 were YUM trailers I purchase, the others I'm injecting using a 2-part aluminum mold. I ran some more colors last night, experimenting with some colors. It's interesting the challenge of trying to duplicate a color pattern - I'm learning - my first run was partially successful, what I found is one of the color patterns is EXTREMELY heavy in glitter - and my first run I used way too small glitter, so will pick up some larger and try again. Getting a color match is not nearly as easy as one thinks, especially when fooled by a bait heavy in glitter distracting the eye.

From what you show, your mold is closer to the YUM than mine, but I'm not so sure there is anything special for my purpose - I've had good luck w/ the YUM baits but I do experience some tail biting which I think my new mold with shorter tails might reduce that.

Take some of your tails poured in more typical NED colors and try them on your NED jigs, you might be surprised at the results.

I also picked up some similar baits from Missile Baits (pic attached) and one other I can't remember (I'll post later) that are also similar.

I'm going to a local reservoir that is a great smallmouth venue Saturday armed with my arsenal to try, so I'll see if anything I'm making will work as well as what I can buy - I'm hopeful my baits shine - that would make me happy and recoup my investment also.
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 05:41:20 PM »
Do you shoot any laminates or just single colors?

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal