BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 187
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Wordens Pond - South Kingstown, RI  (Read 17066 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Wordens Pond - South Kingstown, RI
« on: May 30, 2017, 10:51:42 AM »
My wife and I fished Wordens Pond on Saturday, 5-27-17. I wanted to check the lake out in preparation for an upcoming tourney. I know the lake pretty well, but I haven't been here since last year, so I wanted to get a feel for what the fish are doing right now.

I was shocked to see that the water temp had dropped back down into the low 60s again  :surprised:

One area, where there was a stream running in, was as low as the low 50s. But I'm not really surprised with the weather we've had the last couple of weeks, with rain, cold temps and cloudy skies.  (shrug)

I spent a little over 8 hours scouting and checking different areas. It took me a while to nail them down, but once I did, it was game on.

Finally found them in shallow water, 3 feet or less, in and around weeds where bluegills and other small fish were hanging. Seemed to me like a post-spawn feeding binge and setting up in their summer haunts.

Ended up with a 3 1/2 lber. and one close to 5 lbs., along with a few smaller fish. I was satisfied with what I found  (yes)

Fish were caught on a bladed jig, a stick worm and a buzzbait.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
  • Referrals: 0
    • Club website
Re: Wordens Pond - South Kingstown, RI
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 12:04:21 PM »
This has been one strange spring for weather, temps here are way cooler than normal also. glad you got on them, but I'll bet the pattern will change for your tourney. None the less, sounds like a good outing!

FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Re: Wordens Pond - South Kingstown, RI
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 04:06:14 PM »
This has been one strange spring for weather, temps here are way cooler than normal also. glad you got on them, but I'll bet the pattern will change for your tourney. None the less, sounds like a good outing!

Yes, it was a good outing! Thanks  :nod:

This is a shallow body of water, with a max depth of 6 feet!  :surprised:

Where I caught my fish is pretty typical for the time of year and the seasonal movements. They very well might move, but only slightly, I'm guessing.

The area where I landed them had good weed cover, the majority of which hasn't even started to turn green yet. Lily pads are just starting to show up below the surface and the reeds are still brown and only below the surface.

The weather this week so far has been cloudy, cool and rainy, which should keep the water temps fairly close to where they were on Saturday. We are supposed to have some scattered sun here and there and temps near 70 one day. So I'm sure the water will warm slightly. But I don't think it will be significant enough to move the fish very far.

I guess the tourney will tell the tale  :nod:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal