BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 190
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: LED Light Installation  (Read 23446 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
LED Light Installation
« on: June 26, 2017, 11:02:44 AM »
I've had a complete set of LED lights for my boat for close to 2 years now. I installed the bow lights quite a while back and really like them. But I've been dragging my feet when it comes to getting the rest of the kit installed.  :rolleyes:

I think I'll bite the bullet and get it done sometime in the next week or so. I'll post some pics when it's finished  (yes)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Re: LED Light Installation
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 11:07:38 AM »
I was wanting some red ones for the sides of my boat for night vision and red to keep the bugs down.  Luckily my main fishing partner had some that he had not installed.  I borrowed them and taped them to the side of my boat under the rub rail.  They did not even come close to being enough light so I gave them back and am still trying to figure something out.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 11:27:57 AM »
I have several green strips to put on my boat that I have been putting off also.   I just cant figure out a good way to mount them.   
I thought they would fit fine under my side bumper rails but placing it up close to them would have them shining down at a angle.  So not sure what I am going to do.

Right now the one I use is on a GoPro suction cup mount, but my new ones are strips.   I may end up putting them in some sort of enclosure also.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 04:06:00 PM »
The lights I'm installing are more to light the interior of the boat than for anything else. They are all red strips. They came from @mfwyatt05 , a sponsor of this site.

I don't use any lights for night fishing with regard to shining anything on the water at all. The less light, the better.

Red is my preferred color because it doesn't attract bugs and it's the color that has the least effect on night vision.

Green lights attract bugs like crazy. So I would never recommend that anyone use them to light their boat or the water around it.  (nope)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 04:27:13 PM »
I'm using a red filter on a white light right now, its just not bright enough so I took it off and just use the white.   But even the white led without the filter usually doesn't cause me much problem with bugs.

I like it to be really lit up because I actually think I catch more fish when it is.  I think it turns them on, just like a dock light would do.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 04:41:18 PM by JackJ »
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 09:09:30 PM »
Where I fish there are no docks, no resorts, no houses and few roads passing so it is very dark except with moon light.  Any light you turn on will get you hundreds of some kind of gnat that sounds like mosquitoes.  Using a cap light, if it isn't red will have them all over your face getting into eyes and nose.  Even a black light draws them. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 06:54:10 AM by Jig Man »
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 09:40:50 AM »
Black lights are the worst as most bugs are attracted to UV light.    Red or any color toward that spectrum is for sure the best.
I keep my light on the middle of the boat so when the bugs do get a little bad, its far enough from me that they dont bother me.   But when the mayflies are out I may find 1000 dead ones near the light in the boat.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 10:19:36 AM »
It's amazing how fast bugs will find you when you turn on a light, even away from shore!  (fp)

I turn the backlights on my electronics down to the lowest levels and use a black background instead of the normal white. Taking these steps definitely reduces the number of bugs they attract and it helps with my night vision. But there are still times when I have a bunch of dead bugs stuck to the screen on damp nights. They get attracted to the screen because of the light and then they get stuck there when they land on the wet screen  (giggle)

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 02:48:05 PM »
Yeah I know.  I always wonder what a mosquito does out in the middle of a lake when I am not around.   (shrug)
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 03:25:05 PM »
I always wonder what a mosquito does out in the middle of a lake when I am not around.   (shrug)

I think they must fly around looking for you... "Where's Jack? Have you seen Jack?"  (giggle)

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 03:54:39 PM »
I dont doubt it  (giggle)
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 10:06:09 PM »
I have UV inside my rub rail, red/green nav lights, docking lights inside rub rail and blue throughout the whole inside.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 03:17:03 PM »
I have UV inside my rub rail, red/green nav lights, docking lights inside rub rail and blue throughout the whole inside.

Sounds pretty colorful  :nod:

Got any pics of it at night with them all turned on?

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 06:35:41 PM »

Offline transamz9

• Bluegill
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 06:38:02 PM »