BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 256
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: My First Meeting with Ned  (Read 8700 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
My First Meeting with Ned
« on: July 11, 2017, 11:57:44 AM »
I gave Ned a try during a guide trip last week. Sadly, we din't hit it off very well on our first meeting  (nope)

I didn't get a single bite on the Ned rig and ended up going back to other things.

Weeds were a bit of a problem, even with the weedless head. These weeds were very stringy and annoying, to say the least.

But I won't give up. I'll try it again sometime soon  (yes)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Re: My First Meeting with Ned
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 12:23:17 PM »
I think you would do better on the outside of weeds or around some other kind of cover.  I catch most of my Ned fish in open water on flats close to deep water.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Eric Low

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 03:54:29 PM »
I use ned to specifically fish rocks and small pieces of hard bottom in otherwise weedy lakes. Morings have a chain and a cement block and those with a boat or float attached will often create a weed free circle around the block that fish focus on.
Also on weedy lakes there is a shallow band tight to shore of sand/gravel. Bass use the band pushing bait shallow ...no room for them to escape. Late mornings there is a tight shade line that can hold very shallow fish vulnerable to a 1/10 oz light line presentation. Also, people create weed free areas around docks; I would rather fish a jig on 20lb floro but some times finesse will get em.
Btw, Just bought the Midwest finesse jig mold. Like the recommended 1/0 owner hook .....longer and wider gap than the zman jigs I had been buying.....plus I can pour bismuth and be legal in the lead Nazi states (whew)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 04:18:55 PM »
@Jig Man Every lake I fish has weeds to some degree. I just need to find areas with no weeds to try Ned again.

@Eric Low Thanks Eric! Good pointers for finding areas free of weeds on otherwise weedy lakes.  :thumbup:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Eric Low

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 04:47:53 PM »
Here's a picture of a jig from new mold with a zman

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 09:38:50 PM »
Eric I own that mold.  I have had trouble using the keeper and elaztech baits.  I can't get them to go on so I filled in the keeper slots with RTV silicone and don't use them.  I just glue the heads with Super Glue Gel.  I am using Gammy 1/0 hooks that I bought on close out from Shorty's Hook sales.  They had a good buy on 1000 ct.

I also modified my mold to take a weed guard.

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
    • Club website
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 11:38:37 AM »
Has anyone found a source for the hooks like what the Z-Man uses, wouldn't be difficult to modify a mold t accept those ( I have a favorite mold, but like the wire keepers sometimes. )
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 05:48:18 PM »
I don't know what hook that they use?

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 02:16:34 PM »
Has anyone found a source for the hooks like what the Z-Man uses, wouldn't be difficult to modify a mold t accept those ( I have a favorite mold, but like the wire keepers sometimes. )

Most of the Zman lead products are manufactured by Cast Industries, a sister company to Lure Parts Online. My guess is that Lure Parts Online might carry what you need. Worth a shot. www.lurepartsonline.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 03:46:12 PM »
That appears to be a Mustad 33823 ultra point hook.  I quit using them once I heard that they out source to China now.  Frug if you are interested in the Gammy 1/0 hooks pm me your mailing addy and I'll send you a few.  If you like them, I can sell you a hundred or two as I had to buy 1000.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 03:49:50 PM by Jig Man »

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 08:39:12 PM »
That appears to be a Mustad 33823 ultra point hook.  I quit using them once I heard that they outsource to China now.

Just a question about this. Gamakatsu is a Japanese company and always has been. Their hooks are, presumably, made in Japan.

What would cause you to buy Japanese hooks and ignore hooks made in China? Is it a quality thing or just a principle thing regarding a company outsourcing to China instead of using their own native facilities?

Interesting side note: Mustad's major business seems to have started out as Equine-related, with Horseshoe nails! They also make a bunch of other wire-based products such as paper clips, fence wire, thumb tacks and other wire. Just thought these were interesting facts  (shrug)

By the way, Mustad isn't an American company. They're Norwegian!

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 07:51:01 AM »
I know that you are familiar with Tackle Underground.  Several of the jig makers have discussed getting inferior products from the Chinese hooks.  Many of them have moved to new hooks by Eagle Claw since they have made improvements lately.  All of my Mustad hooks are from several years back so I have no personal experience in this area. 

The guys whose advice I have taken aren't hobby bait makers like me.  They own businesses where they make thousands of jigs and see what is out there.  I have taken their advice and switched.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 11:33:16 AM »
I have taken their advice and switched.

Makes perfect sense  (yes)

I wasn't questioning you in a sarcastic way at all, so I hope you didn't think that. I was genuinely curious as to why. I figured it was probably related to quality.

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 06:38:36 AM »
I didn't take it as sarcasm.  I tend to buy my hooks in lots of 1000 so I want the best for the money and pay attention to respected guys on bait making forums.  So far they have given me solid advice.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 11:12:59 AM »
I didn't take it as sarcasm.

OK. I didn't think so, but wanted to make sure. Sometimes types words are hard to decipher because there's no tone of voice.

I pay attention to respected guys on bait making forums.  So far they have given me solid advice.

Absolutely. There is wisdom in the counsel of many, especially those with experience!  :nod:

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal