BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 178
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Troubleshooting Line Breakage Problems  (Read 9521 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Troubleshooting Line Breakage Problems
« on: July 30, 2017, 03:29:43 PM »
I had some trouble over the last 10 days or so with line breaking repeatedly on one of my spinnerbait rods. It was getting pretty frustrating, not to mention costly due to lost spinnerbaits, so I spent some time today figuring out why.

I ended up writing a blog post to explain how I went about pinpointing the cause.

You can check it out here if you'd like to: http://www.curtsnow.com/blog/troubleshooting-fishing-line-breakage-problems

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Troubleshooting Line Breakage Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 05:49:37 PM »
Let's hope that was the key to the mystery of the breaking line.  I get broke off a lot but it is the rocks I get hung up in and pull till the line breaks. :D
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 05:55:42 PM »
Let's hope that was the key to the mystery of the breaking line.  I get broke off a lot but it is the rocks I get hung up in and pull till the line breaks. :D

(giggle)

I was baffled by this until I broke out the scale this morning and did what I did. Pretty frustrating to have line breaking like this. I know I make my own spinnerbaits, but using premium components can get pretty costly, regardless.  :rolleyes:

I'll be spooling new line on tomorrow and then trying it out this week. I'll report back here to let you know how it goes with brand new line.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 09:34:17 PM »
I know what you mean.  I make my spinner baits and even getting a good deal like I did from you on them I still have over $4 in each one.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 09:39:33 PM »
I know what you mean.  I make my spinner baits and even getting a good deal like I did from you on them I still have over $4 in each one.

It's crazy what baits like those cost to make even when you make them yourself. But that's what it takes to use baits that are exactly what you want them to be, so I will continue to do it  :nod:

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
    • Club website
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 01:55:28 PM »
I do a quick seat of the pants check of new line when I spool, just to make sure the line is still 'good', and not terribly degraded. Better to find it breaks in the garage than on the water!
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 03:10:29 PM »
I do a quick seat of the pants check of new line when I spool, just to make sure the line is still 'good', and not terribly degraded. Better to find it breaks in the garage than on the water!

The funny part is that I actually did that when I tied the spinnerbait on that evening at home. I remembered the break-off a couple nights before, so when I tied the lure on, I gave it several good, hard pulls just above the lure, figuring that if the knot was going to fail, it would do it then. But it held fast with no visible signs of trouble.

Go figure  (fp)

But at least I was able to figure it out now.

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal