BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 168
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: How to Keep Your Trolling Motor Pull Rope From Fraying  (Read 10235 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
How to Keep Your Trolling Motor Pull Rope From Fraying
« on: August 15, 2017, 11:15:49 AM »
I noticed last week that my trolling motor rope was fraying pretty badly, so I decided to replace it ASAP to keep it from breaking while I was on the water. I had a spare that was brand new, hanging inside of my cabinet, so I grabbed it and started working on getting the replacement done.

My old rope had a sleeve of some kind on it that was supposed to have prevented that from fraying, but it hadn't been placed in the right spot on the rope, so the rope still rubbed on the motor bracket where it passed through, causing it to fray again anyway.

So, with the new rope, I took a close look at the sleeve that had been added to it and checked it and found that this one was also placed too high on the rope, just like the last one.  :rolleyes:

But while I was looking at it, I realized that the sleeve was just heat shrink tubing that had been placed on the rope and heated to fit.

So I grabbed some heat shrink tubing of my own and slid it on over the existing piece, but lower down on the rope, so it would actually work this time.

I got it placed just right and heated it so it shrank to fit the rope perfectly, and it was right where ti should be this time.  (yes)

The pic shows where it passes through the motor bracket.

I'm guessing that this should greatly increase the life of this rope. And in light of the fact that it only cost me a few bucks, vs. spending $30 on the G-man rope and handle, it'll do just fine.  (yes)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Re: How to Keep Your Trolling Motor Pull Rope From Fraying
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 05:17:39 PM »
That makes me think I better to look at mine and see how it is doing.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 05:19:15 PM »
That makes me think I better to look at mine and see how it is doing.

Ya, good idea. I was really surprised to see that mine had become so frayed. I'm really glad I noticed it when I did and that I had a spare rope on hand to replace the bad one right away.  (yes)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
  • Referrals: 0
    • Club website
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 02:22:07 PM »
Have y'all tried the steel cable w/ the BIG D-handle (like what is on snow blowers), won't work on every model but if it does they are much more reliable. But, be sure to carry the correct size allen wrench and check the collar in the handle periodically.
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz