BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 159
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Wacky vs. Texas  (Read 19898 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Wacky vs. Texas
« on: December 24, 2017, 01:18:11 PM »
For many years I have heard so much about wacky rigging, even way back to the good old days of plastic worms, before the Senko hit the market.

I can honestly say that I have never, ever caught a fish on a wacky rigged anything. Ever. And it's not for lack of trying.

For whatever reason, I just never get bit on a wacky rig. I have tried it when I have seen others catching fish on wacky rigged Senkos. Got nothing. Went back to Texas rigged and caught bass.

Not sure why, but this is just how it works for me.

Maybe 2018 will be the year that the wacky rig finally works for me??   (shrug)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Wacky vs. Texas
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 03:55:34 PM »
I only do it in high water years when I can use them around bushes. I also seldom fish a TX rig.  I normally will fish a jig head with a screw lock or jig head with bait keeper on the hook.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 06:06:40 PM by Jig Man »
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 06:55:23 PM »
My primary and go-to lure. #4 octopus hook right thru middle of a 5-5.5" stick type worm. I got a #1 color combo that SouthernBassGuy knows.... he picked up 15# from a place going out of business for me.  ;)

Don't know what you're not doing right unless its workin' it too much.

Work the whole water column or any portion from top to bottom. Takes patience with a 2-count per foot of drop (no added weight).

Once the worm cracks half-way thru at the hook, I just move it 1 way or the other about 1/2" and keep chuckin'. Just slightly different action but remains effective.

Definitely not a speed technique so if you're the type that needs to be crankin, runnin' n gunnin' - it ain't gonna be for you.

Need to effectively identify fish location probabilities and work it against the fish' ambush instincts. I've had fish from touchdown on the water to targeting a 7#er on a lonely stump on the bottom at 17'. Even had 'em content to carry it around for 10 minutes waiting while I addressed a birds nest on spinning reel.   :rolleyes:

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 07:58:24 PM »
@Nightmare Thanks for the feedback and tips. I'm a pretty patient angler. I can run and gun when needed, but I can also scour an area pretty thoroughly when that's required.

I was fishing a tourney a couple years back and was catching them good on the T rig. Then the bite slowed down a bit and a fellow club member moved into the same area and was catching them on the wacky rig. So I switched to that and got zero bites while he caught one or two more fish.

I switched back to the T rig and caught another good bass almost immediately. Don't know what I might be missing but I guess I need to figure it out

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 09:19:35 PM »

CONFIDENCE :nod:

Absolute Gospel right there, Jig Man!  :thumbup:

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 09:26:52 PM »
@Nightmare Thanks for the feedback and tips.

Not as much as I could babble on about but short n sweet.

When I say "patience" I'm saying slooooow. Put it this way, I use 1/3 the fuel that I did pre-wackyin'. As, in I can kill a cigar-on-a-single-retrieve slow.  (whew)

Does it always work? Naw, but I'm a lot more relaxed while always in anticipation of that 'hit'.

Maybe it's the strike that you're waiting for... a strike for me is a minor twitch on the water surface off the line. Setting the hook is more a pop than a tooth-jerker.  (shrug)

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 11:38:03 PM »
This was the first year that I tried it.  The first couple trips I did so, I caught fish on the wacky when they wouldn't bite anything else.
Then all the sudden on the next few trips I couldn't buy a bite on one.  So I fell away from it.  Going to try it a lot more this year though.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 07:19:45 AM »
I didn't use it this year either even though we had high water.  I had been using the Ned rig before the water came up and it was really producing so I stayed with it.  I didn't even consider wacky.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2017, 02:30:10 PM »

CONFIDENCE :nod:

Absolutely. You just said a mouthful right there. Need to dedicate some time to catching those first few fish with this method so I can gain that confidence  (yes)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 02:31:45 PM »
Maybe it's the strike that you're waiting for... a strike for me is a minor twitch on the water surface off the line. Setting the hook is more a pop than a tooth-jerker.  (shrug)

Have honestly never had a single bite with the wacky rig. I know how subtle bites can be. But it has just plain never happened for me (yet).

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2017, 03:28:26 PM »
my 2 cents ,    wacky worm,   not good in weeds, it wont penetrate millfoil or hydrilla,  bad in wind, the line is caught by the wind and bows and the bait is dragged a few inches below the surface   however on a calm rocky or sparcely weeded area  nothing beats the wacky rigged worm for numbers.  but as stated patience is the key.  Most over work it.  I had a guy on the trail that literally cast his senko,  lit his cigarette and didnt move it till he was done with the butt.  The man caught some fish but dayum thats over the top for me.  I have also found that on some days and some lakes  that wacky wont get a sniff . dont have the answer for that one Ill take the tx rig or open hook rig over the wacky for bigger fish 
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2017, 07:51:35 PM »
Thanks @bullet20dc for your input. Much appreciated  :nod:

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 08:10:16 AM »
No arguments here, Bullet.

Although I ain't pitchin it into weeds, it does okay thru submerged weeds the way I rig it and ain't afraid to chuck it out into enclosed pockets lookin for a fish to make it weedless... If its not there, oh well - my brother always said "if you ain't gettin' hung up, you ain't where the fish are"  :rolleyes:.

Wind is a pita but my work around is chuckin' into it. The thing finds its way into the wind surprisingly well given its relatively light weight albeit dense for its bulk. My bigger issue there is wave action - waves over 1 1/2 foot becomes a wall to bite detection.

As always, while everyone has their preferred technique given the chance - ya still gotta do what the fish want or suffer for it.  (shrug)

Hope Santa treated everyone well! He brought me a new onboard charger (lost 1 bank late this season).  (rock)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 11:49:38 AM »

my brother always said "if you ain't gettin' hung up, you ain't where the fish are"  :rolleyes:.

Hope Santa treated everyone well! He brought me a new onboard charger (lost 1 bank late this season).  (rock)

Your brother is 100% right! I remember my early days trying to avoid weeds because they fouled the lure up. I was obviously using the wrong lures for the conditions, which I learned pretty quickly  (giggle)

Glad you got yourself a new charger. Hope it works out well for you  :thumbup:

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal