BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 177
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Upgrade Lowrance 7X HDI  (Read 21672 times)

Offline bobby_scott21`

• Guppy
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Upgrade Lowrance 7X HDI
« on: January 07, 2018, 05:52:33 PM »
Folks, recently purchased a new boat and it only has a Lowrance 7 HDI at the console. I am used to having SI and DI. Does anyone know what would be the most cost effective way (which unit) to upgrade to SI and DI? I also believe this unit is operating on a “through the hull” transducer. I would also like to know if the next step up is caplable of being linked to the 7X HDI?  My primary plan is to buy the new unit used. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
Re: Upgrade Lowrance 7X HDI
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 04:03:32 PM »
I'm pretty sure that your unit won't link to the HDS units and that is what you will need for side scan along with an lss 2 transducer with a used unit.  You might check into the new Hook units.  I'm pretty sure they have di and ss but they may not be able to network with your unit either.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 06:08:59 PM by Jig Man »
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 06:09:15 PM »
I'm not specifically familiar with your 7 HDI but - nothing in the L lineup connects by Ethernet except the HDS units. That's what is required to share anything related to screen views. I would suspect that yours may have NMEA but that only shares data like waypoints, gps info, engine info and whatnot. Waypoints are ONLY shared by NMEA  if connected units are both turned on when a waypoint is made. Check the Ti models for full structure scan capabilities but they do not have Ethernet to share. They will have NMEA. While the Hook2 is greatly improved, from my reading, I don't believe it has structure scan but you should check to be sure.

Again, your L choice is limited to the HDS line if you want full sharing.

Not sure if any of this exactly answers your question/s.

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 10:24:00 AM »
Just looked it up. It does have NMEA 2000 and 0183 - 2000 being current technology.

To get full sharing of all info between units, you would have to go with HDS (connected by Ethernet). HDS also has NMEA 2000 and 0183.

Gen1 non-touch units will share sonar/SS and waypoints. Gen2 non-touch units will share same as Gen1 plus update V2.0 shares map chip info (only need 1 chip for all units connected). Both these require an added box plus SS ducer for DI/SI.

Gen2 Touch does what the Gen2 non-touch does except by touch-screen. It also doesn't require the separate SS Module - the SS ducer connects directly to unit.

Gen3 Touch does what Gen2 Touch does. A small set of function buttons was also added back onto the face of the unit. It also has wireless connectivity for updates and I don't know what else.

Carbon (Gen4 Touch effectively) does everything Gen 3 does. Also has dual processers and a bunch of stuff that I can't keep track of 'cause there's no way I'm paying for one of those, almost what I paid for my boat.

Of course, the farther back in the generations you go, the cheaper you can get stuff. Fair warning though, Lowrance will not support any of its units older than Gen3 at this point. Once the unit is out of warranty, they won't fix it - whether or not you're willing to pay them to do so. For that matter, sometimes they won't fix it when its under warranty either replace with another or will "upgrade" you to the next newer (for a price). I think its a crappy way of conducting business but that's another topic we'll avoid here...just something you should be aware of.

I run (non-touch) (2) Gen2 HDS 8s at helm and (1) Gen2 HDS 10 at bow and I have separate SS modules/ducers on front and back.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 10:27:07 AM »
@bobby_scott21` Sounds like Jig Man and Nightmare have given you what info you need. Hope it helps!  :thumbup:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline bobby_scott21`

• Guppy
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 01:29:42 AM »
Thanks everyone! Not great news but it clearly gives me a way forward. Thank you so much.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 10:34:16 AM »
Thanks everyone! Not great news but it clearly gives me a way forward. Thank you so much.

Glad we could help! Like you said, at least now you know what direction to move in. Thanks @Nightmare for taking the time to look this up  :thumbup:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal