Bass Boat Forums (by boat brand) > Ranger Bass Boats Forums

Picked myself up a classic - now the fun begin!

<< < (2/17) > >>

frugalangler:

--- Quote from: pprice01 on January 09, 2018, 09:10:06 AM ---Am I right In guessing that the dash switch is only to set the gauge to read from one tank or the other to show the fill level and the ‘dial’ is to actually select which tank to feed the motor from?

They don’t have anything to do with each other, do they?  Meaning if the dial is set to port and the switch to starboard it won’t mean anything other than the motor is drawing from the port tank while I’m watching the level on the starboard tank, right?

--- End quote ---

You are correct (yes, I've a Ranger set up the same, most all with under seat tanks are that way) that the dial switches the fuel feed to motor, and the switch selects the tank to read level of. Some also have a center off position on the switch.

Enjoy that Ranger, it's a great boat, and that series was very good even if it's older.

pprice01:
Thanks all!  Next question.  When I test drive the boat I made sure that the water spit out of the engine in a strong stream when it was running, but don’t recall if it came out when the boat wasn’t in gear.  On my driveway with the dog ears on and the motor in neutral, no water comes out of the hole (don’t know the proper name for this hole - water exhaust port?).

Question is whether this is normal when in idle?  A buddy with an older boat says that it has to be in gear to turn the impeller to spit water because the impellers don’t spin unless the prop does. 

Is this true? 

To be safe I only ran the motor for 60 Seconds, but I am curious to see what others have to say.  Going to call my mechanic tomorrow but thought I’d ask here first.

1992 Mercury XRi 2.5L 200hp

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullet20dc:
not true,   the impeller is driven by the drive shaft directly from the motor. It sits on the top of the lower unit before the actual foot. the prop is driven by the set of gears inside the lu that turn the prop shaft,  the 2 are totally separate from each other.  I believe what you're prob seeing is on some plumbing on some motors the thermostats have to open up before you see the tell tail (pee stream) peeing.  On some motors on some years the tell tail is plumbed on a by pass so it pees as soon as the motor starts

pprice01:

--- Quote from: bullet20dc on January 10, 2018, 06:10:53 AM ---not true,   the impeller is driven by the drive shaft directly from the motor. It sits on the top of the lower unit before the actual foot. the prop is driven by the set of gears inside the lu that turn the prop shaft,  the 2 are totally separate from each other.  I believe what you're prob seeing is on some plumbing on some motors the thermostats have to open up before you see the tell tail (pee stream) peeing.  On some motors on some years the tell tail is plumbed on a by pass so it pees as soon as the motor starts

--- End quote ---

Thank You bullet!

pprice01:

--- Quote from: pprice01 on January 10, 2018, 06:43:32 AM ---
--- Quote from: bullet20dc on January 10, 2018, 06:10:53 AM ---not true,   the impeller is driven by the drive shaft directly from the motor. It sits on the top of the lower unit before the actual foot. the prop is driven by the set of gears inside the lu that turn the prop shaft,  the 2 are totally separate from each other.  I believe what you're prob seeing is on some plumbing on some motors the thermostats have to open up before you see the tell tail (pee stream) peeing.  On some motors on some years the tell tail is plumbed on a by pass so it pees as soon as the motor starts

--- End quote ---

Thank You bullet!

--- End quote ---
How long is reasonable to wait for the pee stream to start without risking damage to the motor from overheating?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version