BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 198
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: 96 bass tracker  (Read 38956 times)

Offline Mike Lopez

• Guppy
  • Referrals: 0
96 bass tracker
« on: February 05, 2018, 01:02:23 AM »
hello to all, I owned a 2 man plastic bass boat for over 20 years and finally decided to upgrade to bass tracker (getting to old to load unload my boat) I have very little exp on 2 stroke mercury 40 hp outboard and I tried to find an owners manual online but couldn't find anything.How to start,what type of oil,gas, winterize and anything else I should know.
thanks for any advise

model-1996 Basstracker Pro Tourney 18 40 hp 2 stroke

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Re: 96 bass tracker
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 10:01:19 AM »
@Mike Lopez Welcome to BBB!  o/

I used to own a Tracker Pro Team 18. But mine had a 90 HP Merc.

If your boat is setup similar to mine, there will be an oil tank that you fill with 2 cycle outboard oil and the engine will take care of the mixing of fuel and oil. Some boats will have this tank on the outboard itself. Others will have a tank in the boat, usually in the rear bilge area. If not, most outboards run on a 100:1 mixture.

For gas, use regular grade. If you can buy gas at the pump with no ethanol, do it by all means. Otherwise, use gas only with 10% ethanol or less to avoid major engine and fuel system problems.

Regarding the kind of oil, by good brand name tow cycle outboard oil. Merc offers their own brand. Yamaha oil is also very good. Avoid the generic brands sold at Walmart and other major retail outlets. They save you money in the short run but will cost you more in headaches  (fp)

When I had my Merc, I used to run LubriMatic Two Cycle oil that I bought from Walmart by the gallon. I ran it for several years, and then decided to try a different brand name oil. When I made the switch, the smoke from my motor declined by about 75%. I had wondered for years why my outboard smoked so badly. I just thought it was a Merc trait. But it turned out to be the oil I was running.

You can get Two Cycle oil from Tackle Warehouse here: http://bit.ly/2nKM9zE

You can also check with local outboard dealers. Most will sell good oil in bulk. Just show up with a clean gallon jug and have them fill it up for you.

I bought my boat brand new in 1994 and it came with little or no documentation.

Starting it is pretty basic, but varies somewhat from motor to motor. If I remember right, mine was pretty much just hold the primer button while turning the key. When it fired, let off on the primer button. But that was more than 10 years ago, so I might be confusing my current boat with my old boat. Always make sure the primer bulb at the transom is squeezed up enough to make it hard before attempting to start the outboard too.

Winterizing involves using fogging oil to coat the engines internals, to prevent corrosion. You'll also want to make sure the fuel is stabilized and that the batteries are kept charged over the winter months.

If all else fails and you need to find info, try visiting the Tracker Boats website and finding their contact info and give them a call or use their website's live chat feature to ask someone your questions.

There is a list of boat manufacturers and contact info here: http://www.bassboatboards.com/index.php/page,bass_boat_manufacturer_directory.html

Hopefully this will help get you headed in the right direction  ;)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 09:59:18 AM by Curt »

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 06:08:39 AM »
First off Welcome to the site Mike,  Curt pretty much has it all covered   Only one thing I might add,  Ive been using pennzoil synthetic blend for more years then i wanna admit to, and I recomend it to all my customers,  Ive torn down motors with hundreds of hours on them and hardly and carbon build up compared to ones that use off brand dyno oil.  A lot less smoking and actually about the same price at wamart when u can get it on sale.  Just a slight correction on Curts post  if you are mixing the oil and gas use a 50:1 ratio not 100:1.  Most all mercs run at 50:1 since the 80's except  the optimax's which vary the ratio as the rpms vary  and the computer does that.   Some hi perf outboards running premix  royal purple or Klotz 100% synthetic can get away with 100:1  but I dont recomend it.
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 09:16:46 AM »
I second the Pennzoil semi-synthetic. Used to use the full synthetic but now can't find it and heard it was discontinued.

I de-carbon once a year and hardly get notable smoke from burning out the carbon. First time I did it when still running regular oil I thought the neighbors would call in a fire there was so much smoke.

Everyone has their favorites and Bullet doesn't need any back-up on opinions - he's the man when it comes to knowing his stuff. Just thought I'd chime in and also say Welcome to the site.
 (gonefishing)

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 09:43:52 AM »
I was going to mention the same that I always mixed 50:1 on my 75 hp Merc.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 09:58:31 AM »
Thanks for the correction, guys. I'm not sure where I got the 100:1 from. Somehow that got stuck in my head from somewhere  (fp)

I honestly remember running 50:1 during break-in and then mixing 100:1. Or at least that's what I think I remember. Again, that was a long time ago and it was with an Evinrude, not a Merc.

Anyway, thanks for the correction  :thumbup:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 02:39:03 PM »
Curt a looooong time ago they had us run double oil for a tank or so then go to 50:1 on those JohnRudes.   Maybe that is what you are remembering.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 02:47:01 PM »
Curt a looooong time ago they had us run double oil for a tank or so then go to 50:1 on those JohnRudes.   Maybe that is what you are remembering.

Yep. That's what it was. I had a 1989 Bass Tracker Pro 17 with a 40 HP Evinrude on it. Can't believe I still had that stuck in my head  (fp)

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
    • Club website
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 03:04:16 PM »
I like Charlie ran Penzoil Syn Blend for quite a while, but have switched to Cabela's branded Syn Blend now for about 8 years, in a number of motors, and have a number of folks in our club that run it also. We recently had an engine torn down that threw a rod (not from oil, it hit a object underwater) and wear was excellent! We usually buy a season's worth when it goes on sale in spring for somewhere around $12-$13, and even free shipping to our door, so it's a bargain for us. Yep, oil is like opinions on trucks and religion, everyone has one and theirs is best, just passing along an alternative.
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 03:05:49 PM »
We usually buy a season's worth when it goes on sale in spring for somewhere around $12-$13, and even free shipping to our door, so it's a bargain for us.

Great info. Thanks! :thumbup:

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 03:49:30 PM »
Curt double oiling is actually 25:1 ratio  half as many gallons of gas  to oil ratio then 50:1 

Frug would you be shocked if I told you that cabelas oil is pennzoil with a cabelas label  on it.   we all know cabela isnt in the oil producing business as is mercury or yamaha or for that matter any outboard manufacturer.  all they do is supply a spec to an actual manufacturer with the addins to be added and stick on a label.  One of the major mfg is pennzoil.   TCWIII oil is all the same and never let a dealer tell you your warrantee is void because you didnt use their brand of oil.  That was thrown out of court in the 90's and deemed unlawful. but some dealers still try and use that argument to screw you.
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
    • Club website
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 04:27:11 PM »
Curt double oiling is actually 25:1 ratio  half as many gallons of gas  to oil ratio then 50:1 

Frug would you be shocked if I told you that cabelas oil is pennzoil with a cabelas label  on it.

NO, I suspected it which is partly why I switched!

we all know cabela isnt in the oil producing business as is mercury or yamaha or for that matter any outboard manufacturer.  all they do is supply a spec to an actual manufacturer with the addins to be added and stick on a label.  One of the major mfg is pennzoil.   TCWIII oil is all the same and never let a dealer tell you your warrantee is void because you didnt use their brand of oil.  That was thrown out of court in the 90's and deemed unlawful. but some dealers still try and use that argument to screw you.

Yes, as of 1975............
In 1975 Congress enacted the Magnuson-Moss Act to regulate consumer product warranties. An examination of the law reveals that manufacturers can issue specifications for oils used in their equipment to maintain warranty but they must allow consumers to use any oils that meet these specifications.
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 10:11:46 PM »
cabelas oil is pennzoil with a cabelas label  on it.

Good to know. I normally shop mine at local walmart but this is handy knowledge right there... Thx Bullet!  :thumbup:

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 09:56:35 AM »

@bullet20dc Thanks! Somehow I had it backwards in my head.  (fp)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 10:00:35 AM »
Ive been using pennzoil synthetic blend for more years then i wanna admit to

BTW, I think I'll give this oil a try this season if I can find it at a decent price somewhere.

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal