BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 189
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Posted Another Tackle Review!  (Read 9675 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Posted Another Tackle Review!
« on: February 08, 2018, 11:43:38 AM »
I finished up another tackle review last night!

I wrote a review on one of the KastKing baitcasting reels I bought a little over a year ago.

You can check it out here: http://www.tackletest.com/kastking-royale-legend-baitcasting-reel-review

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
  • Referrals: 0
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
Re: Posted Another Tackle Review!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 01:06:52 PM »
Curt,

You still liking this reel?  How did it hold up this year?
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 01:22:20 PM »
@JackJ The reel is still holding up well. I didn't use it as much the last half of this season as I did the first half, mainly because I bought a handful of other reels that I liked better., namely the Abu Garcia Revo4 X and the KastKing Stealth.

As far as KastKing reels go, I really, really like the Stealth. https://www.tackletest.com/kastking-stealth-baitcasting-reel-review/

My main gripe with the Royale Legend is the braking system. It works, but was a bit quirky on the older model that I have. The Stealth is reported to use the same braking system as the Royale Legend, but it seems to me that the Stealth is much more refined. So my guess is that they revamped the braking system to work out the kinks.

Anyway, for $39.99, the Royale Legend is a great buy, especially if they have updated the braking system.

For $17 more, the Stealth is a sweet reel that weighs just under 6 ounces and is fast becoming one of my favorites.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 01:33:13 PM »
I just bought one of the low cost reels from Piscifun just to try out. 
It is the Phantom model.   Got it for $54 from Amazon.

I was thinking seriously about cancelling the order and going with the KastKing, but I think I will let it come on in and see how it feels and performs.

Then at least I could give a review on another low cost reel.

I am normally a Daiwa mid-range reel fan, like the Tatula CT or SV, but I want to see how some of these lower cost ones really perform since you can buy two or three for what I normally pay.

2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 01:50:26 PM »
I have also been looking at the Piscifun reels recently, but noticed that they have way less bearings than the KastKing reels for the same price, so I have held off on buying one.

I also still have a brand new Revo4 X sitting in the box that I haven't put to use yet. So before I buy anymore new reels, I need to make sure I'm using the ones I already have  (giggle)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 01:50:56 PM »
Then at least I could give a review on another low cost reel.

Yes, that would be awesome!

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 02:32:16 PM »
I learned a long time ago not to pay much attention to bearing count as some of my finest casting reels do not have near the count as some of high number of bearing reels.  They count bearings in areas that are not all that important really (although they do help the feel).   

Just by the way, six of those bearings on that KastKing stealth are in the handle knobs.  Not downplaying that, but I think the most important ones are the ones the spool rides on.

Quality of those bearings really are what makes the difference.   
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 07:32:11 PM »
Just by the way, six of those bearings on that KastKing stealth are in the handle knobs. 

Interesting. How did you find that out?

Quality of those bearings really are what makes the difference.

My experience so far with the KastKing reels is that the bearings seem to be of very good quality. The reels are super smooth.

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 11:11:19 PM »

Look about the 17 second mark.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 08:30:52 AM »
After doing some research on these lower cost Chinese reels, I have been amazed at the number of brands out there that I have never heard of or are not as popular, or just coming into the market.      It looks like many may possibly be made by the same manufacturer per that individual brands specs.    Most have very good overall reviews.

I have always stuck to the Daiwa, Shimano, Lews reels with longevity being a big factor for me, but some of these reels specs and build have been pretty impressive and I think warrant a try, especially at the low cost.

Here are a few, can you add any others?

KastKing
Piscifun
Haibo
Tsurinoya
SixGill

« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 08:43:53 AM by JackJ »
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 10:44:38 AM »
Look about the 17 second mark.

Thanks!

I know those 6 bearings are only in the handle, but to me it says a lot about a reel if they put 6 bearings in the handle  :nod:

And like I said, the Stealth is fast becoming my favorite reel after using two of them for the past season.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 10:49:06 AM »
Here are a few, can you add any others?

KastKing
Piscifun
Haibo
Tsurinoya
SixGill

Those are the only ones that I know of at the moment. I have heard that some of them are being made in Korea, not just in China.

Recently while reading a review on Amazon, I think it was for a Piscifun reel, one of the guys mentioned the names of a couple companies that are making the majority of these reels, including major brand names. He's the one who mentioned Korea.

One of these days I want to go back and try to find that review and jot down the names of those companies so I can look into them further.

But, in my opinion, most people are paying way too much for their reels because they have a well-known brand name attached to them.

I flat out refuse to spend more than $70-$80 for a reel now. And will more than likely not spend more than $70 ever again, except maybe to test a reel so I can review it. Even for that, though, I cringe at the thought of dropping $150 and up for a reel.   :surprised:

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 02:15:58 PM »
I hope to have success with the cheaper ones I buy too.   I love my Daiwa SV TW, which is silky smooth, but I'm like you I am tired of paying so much.  Would rather use the money on other tackle.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 08:31:51 PM »
Would rather use the money on other tackle.

Exactly  :nod:

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal