BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 180
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: First Time in 10 Years  (Read 7735 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
First Time in 10 Years
« on: February 23, 2018, 10:03:42 AM »
My Minn Kota Maxxum is the original trolling motor that came on my 2008 G3 boat. So I have 10 seasons on it.

In those 10 seasons I haven't had a single problem with it. I did have to replace the bottom half of the plastic head on the top of the motor because it was cracked, but that was something that didn't affect the use of the motor or cause it to stop working.

Tuesday when I fished, about 20 minutes into the trip, I was pressing on the button (with my foot) to move the boat forward. I heard a small "click" or "snap", like something very small had broken. I looked down and didn't see any broken plastic pieces anywhere. But when I lifted my foot off of the TM foot pedal, I noticed that the motor kept running and the "go" button was still depressed.

I reached down and lifted that button with my hand and the motor stopped running. But as soon as I let got if it, the button dropped down and the TM started running again. So for the rest of the trip, I either kept the TM running on very, very low, or I would turn it off and on using the switch on the side of the foot pedal base.

But I did use my pocket knife to lift that "go" button out of the foot pedal, and that's when I saw what was wrong. Under that button there is a very small spring that had snapped in two. So without that spring, the button would stay down when I removed my foot, thus keeping the motor running.

Like I said, I fished the rest of the trip with it that way, but jumped right on the phone and onto Facebook when I got home, trying to track down a replacement spring.

It took me less than a half hour before a local angler hit me up to let me know he had one and he would give it to me for free  (yes)

A few minutes later I was picking it up, and then I installed it a short time after that. And all is well.

I'm thankful that it was a quick, easy, cheap fix.

But having this happen tells me that I should probably keep a spare spring with me now, just in case it happens again.  :nod:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline frugalangler

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Play hard, Fish harder!!!!!
  • Referrals: 0
    • Club website
Re: First Time in 10 Years
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 10:50:37 AM »
Since that is a common part across all the later models, I'm gonna order one myself for mine, and keep w/ the spare lift cord (I don't really like the SS Cables) I keep in the tool box.

Thanks for the heads up.
FrugalAngler
Ranger198VX/Yamaha VMax
Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 11:50:09 AM »
Since that is a common part across all the later models, I'm gonna order one myself for mine, and keep w/ the spare lift cord (I don't really like the SS Cables) I keep in the tool box.

Thanks for the heads up.

You're welcome  :nod:

And, yes, keeping it with a spare cord is a great idea.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline bullet20dc

• Smallmouth Bass
  • politically correct impaired
  • Referrals: 2
    • hvbm.org
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 06:29:18 AM »
nothing special about that spring guys.  get em at home depot or lowes or any auto supply store. Just get a SS one . Takes seconds to change out and  it will last for years   Wile we talking about springs those of ya running a  hotfoot  grease that pivot point where the return spring anchors and while youre at the home improvement store get ya a spare one of them too.
Ranger Z521C w 250 SHO

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 10:10:08 AM »
nothing special about that spring guys.  get em at home depot or lowes or any auto supply store

I was wondering about that. That part from a TM repair shop costs less than $1. But if you order it by mail, you're now whacked with a shipping charge. Buying it from an auto parts store will probably cost about the same, and if you just happen to be driving by and stop in to pick it up, it costs you zero extra.

Thanks @bullet20dc for the input and the confirmation on that  :thumbup:

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal