Trolling Motors (by brand) > Minn Kota Trolling Motors

Minn Kota Maxxum Review

(1/2) > >>

Curt:
A bow-mounted trolling motor is a staple for any serious bass angler. If the TM dies, you're basically dead in the water.

So, what do I think of the very popular Minn Kota Maxxum, that I've used and put through pain and torture for the last 10 years?

Read my review to find out!

http://www.tackletest.com/minn-kota-maxxum-trolling-motor-review

andyfender:
I have a Maxxum also, and although its a very dependable TM its a gripe lifting and lowering it. I would rather have the Fortrex with the piston.

Curt:

--- Quote from: andyfender on March 28, 2018, 06:21:32 PM ---I have a Maxxum also, and although its a very dependable TM its a gripe lifting and lowering it. I would rather have the Fortrex with the piston.

--- End quote ---

The "lift assist" that's built into the Fortrex is definitely an advantage! I've personally had a TM with lift assist, so I haven't had the opportunity to feel the difference.

Perhaps my next boat will be ordered with a Fortrex  (hmm)

By the way, @andyfender thanks for the feedback!  :thumbup:

JackJ:
The lift assist on my Fortrex is for sure nice, but I wish I had the Ultrex now.

Nightmare:
Have a 70 Maxxum - now for about 8 years. Bought as a reman and good savings at the time - no regrets. In fact, kept it off my Stratos 285Pro when I moved that boat on and removed/replaced it onto my 201PE, giving the 285 buyer the MG that was on it. For biggest reason, liked the 70's performance - secondly I was first-hand familiar with the MG's circuit board problem in the foot Plus it had like a 60" stem on it.

More power to the folks that like their lift-assist devices - some may actually need it. Only time I've had problems pulling up it when I had 30-50# of weeds built up on the stem...don't really think the lift assist is going to help that  :rolleyes: . If I had to replace this one, I'd favor the $ towards more power rather that the assist. If you can afford it that's fine with me but I'll take the trade-off and save the $ for other wants/needs.

So far as the "weedless wedge" - well, I can't say Ive never fouled the thing but I'm not normally running near or over 40% (except when using the prop to chop the weeds off the stem when lifting)  (yes) . I ain't shy about battling the slop but I don't care what anybody has or says - doing battle with hydrilla down south ain't a winning proposition whatever you got.  (nope)

Been a good TM for me. Reliable at a good price point. 100% pulls me along at 2.6 mph ('95 Stratos 201PE) if I choose to do so - more just as a curiosity than function....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version