BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 179
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Minn Kota Maxxum Review  (Read 8482 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Minn Kota Maxxum Review
« on: March 28, 2018, 04:01:52 PM »
A bow-mounted trolling motor is a staple for any serious bass angler. If the TM dies, you're basically dead in the water.

So, what do I think of the very popular Minn Kota Maxxum, that I've used and put through pain and torture for the last 10 years?

Read my review to find out!

http://www.tackletest.com/minn-kota-maxxum-trolling-motor-review

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline andyfender

• Guppy
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Minn Kota Maxxum Review
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 06:21:32 PM »
I have a Maxxum also, and although its a very dependable TM its a gripe lifting and lowering it. I would rather have the Fortrex with the piston.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 06:57:11 PM »
I have a Maxxum also, and although its a very dependable TM its a gripe lifting and lowering it. I would rather have the Fortrex with the piston.

The "lift assist" that's built into the Fortrex is definitely an advantage! I've personally had a TM with lift assist, so I haven't had the opportunity to feel the difference.

Perhaps my next boat will be ordered with a Fortrex  (hmm)

By the way, @andyfender thanks for the feedback!  :thumbup:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 09:10:22 AM »
The lift assist on my Fortrex is for sure nice, but I wish I had the Ultrex now.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 12:36:15 PM »
Have a 70 Maxxum - now for about 8 years. Bought as a reman and good savings at the time - no regrets. In fact, kept it off my Stratos 285Pro when I moved that boat on and removed/replaced it onto my 201PE, giving the 285 buyer the MG that was on it. For biggest reason, liked the 70's performance - secondly I was first-hand familiar with the MG's circuit board problem in the foot Plus it had like a 60" stem on it.

More power to the folks that like their lift-assist devices - some may actually need it. Only time I've had problems pulling up it when I had 30-50# of weeds built up on the stem...don't really think the lift assist is going to help that  :rolleyes: . If I had to replace this one, I'd favor the $ towards more power rather that the assist. If you can afford it that's fine with me but I'll take the trade-off and save the $ for other wants/needs.

So far as the "weedless wedge" - well, I can't say Ive never fouled the thing but I'm not normally running near or over 40% (except when using the prop to chop the weeds off the stem when lifting)  (yes) . I ain't shy about battling the slop but I don't care what anybody has or says - doing battle with hydrilla down south ain't a winning proposition whatever you got.  (nope)

Been a good TM for me. Reliable at a good price point. 100% pulls me along at 2.6 mph ('95 Stratos 201PE) if I choose to do so - more just as a curiosity than function....
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 12:53:47 PM by Nightmare »

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 04:02:12 PM »
@Nightmare You're on the same page as I am. I prefer to save money on extra features and put it toward more power. My back is in good shape and I have no problem with lifting mine. Kudos to those who bought the lift assist and like it.

This is my second Maxxum and you won't be able to get me to buy any other brand. A Fortrex? Maybe. But not so sure that it's any better than the Maxxum until someone convinces me otherwise.

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal