BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 185
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: 1976 Monark McFast 15 Restoration, Worth It?  (Read 9625 times)

Offline Olympus

• Guppy
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
1976 Monark McFast 15 Restoration, Worth It?
« on: June 11, 2018, 01:57:11 PM »
Guys, new member here and wanted to get some honest opinions and advice. I’m wondering if it’s worth it to restore this 1976 Monark McFast 15 or if the project is going to be too expensive to undertake.

Essentially, the boat has a historical and sentimental value/meaning to me. My grandpa bought this boat brand new in 1976.  He sold it to a neighbor a few years later who kept the boat until 1998, when my dad bought it. The clear coat was mostly flaking off, but the hull was sound. My dad and I restored the boat back to brand new. Had all new decals, seats, carpet, gauges, and clear coat done. It was slick!  My dad only kept it for a year or so and sold it by at least 1999 or 2000. I was randomly looking through local Craigslist and I found our old boat for sale!  I know it’s the same boat because I recognize the trailer and the decals we used. It has a different motor now and looks in pretty bad shape.

Long story short, I called the seller and he has title for boat and trailer. Says the deck and transom are not rotten (don’t know for sure), but there is no steering and some of the hinges are coming loose and will need some fiberglass repair to put them back on. I asked the seller if he would sell without the motor and he said he’d take $300 for the boat and trailer.

I can repair and repaint the trailer myself without any problem. I can put new bearings, bunks, and wire lights if needed. I can do all the trailer work myself for just cost of materials. What I’m not experienced at is fiberglass repair and clear coating. I would have to pay a shop to that. I’m located in Missouri.

Now I guess my first question is whether this even sounds like a reasonable or doable project and my next question is what kind of ballpark estimate can I expect for cost?  The boat used to have a 115 Mercury tower of power, but I could probably go smaller to same a little money. I’m just getting caught up in all the nostalgia of the boat and love the idea of restoring it back to like new again for me and my son like I did with my dad. But if it’s going to be terribly expensive then I may just have to dream and pass on it.

Here’s a link to the ad:  newbielink:https://semo.craigslist.org/boa/d/76-16-ft-monark-92-25hp/6607629439.html [nonactive]

Here are a few pictures.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Re: 1976 Monark McFast 15 Restoration, Worth It?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 01:39:22 PM »
@Olympus First off, welcome to the site!  o/

Your question about whether it's worth restoring the boat or not is based as much on your attachment to the boat as it is to the cost.

Like you said, the trailer is a no-brainer. All of the work and materials involved will be very straight forward.

The boat, though, will depend on how it is structurally. You've already mentioned (and the pics show) that it is cosmetically in poor condition. If the transom (and any other wooden areas) seem solid, then the decision would probably come down to the cost of the gel coat/clear coat repair, etc.

With you being located in MO, there should be plenty of good people who can give you quotes on getting it back to looking good!

One of the members here, @Matt@Fractures does excellent fiberglass work!

His work can be seen here on his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Fractures-Fiberglass-Boat-Repair-502214566477880/

I've seen a lot of photos of his restoration work and I am completely impressed with it.

I hope this info helps!  :nod:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal