General Forums > Tow Vehicles

2018 F-150 Gas Mileage

(1/2) > >>

Curt:
I took my 2018 F-150 on a long trip for the first time, from RI to NC.

We left last Friday and returned very early this morning. I was curious to see what kind of gas mileage it would get with the 2.7 liter ecoboost engine. I was not towing my boat, so I figured this would be a good test.

During the 700+ mile trip to NC, I averaged 21.5 MPG. I thought that was pretty decent, but I had actually hoped to see 22 MPG or higher.

On the way home, I remembered that this transmission has 5 different settings; Normal, Tow/Haul, Snow/Slippery Roads, Eco, Sport

So, on the way home I switched it from normal, which is what I used on the way down, to Eco.

Big difference! I got 23 MPG on the way home. That was actually better than I had expected, and I was happy with that result.

My wife drives a Mazda 3, which gets close to 40 MPG on the highway, but we chose to take the truck for comfort and safety reasons. It may have cost us more for gas, but neither of us felt cramped or achey from the 12 hour ride. And there were no worries of us not being seen in busy areas and getting run off the road.

Definitely glad we took the truck!

Jig Man:
Nothing better than taking the truck and being above the crowd.  Your F150 is getting at least 6 mpg better than my F250 on the road.

Curt:

--- Quote ---Nothing better than taking the truck and being above the crowd.
--- End quote ---

Exactly. No worries of not being seen!

--- Quote ---Your F150 is getting at least 6 mpg better than my F250
--- End quote ---

What does your F-250 have for an engine? I'm guessing something much bigger than my truck  :nod:

JackJ:
Arent the 2.7L rated for 20 city - 26 hwy?  Im surprised you are getting that much less.

Curt:
I just checked the 2019s and it shows 19 MPG and 24 MPG for city and highway. Not sure what speeds they use on the highway to calculate that, but a large part of my trip was at 70-75 MPH, since most areas were either 65 or 70 MPH speed limits!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version