BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 179
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Time to Retire My Trailer  (Read 11180 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Time to Retire My Trailer
« on: August 06, 2018, 02:14:03 PM »
Well, it's time to lay my trailer to rest once and for all.  :crying:

I fished with a buddy last night and when I put the boat on the trailer to go home, I noticed that there was very little clearance between the tire and fender on the port side.

So we looked around underneath to see what had broken. I thought maybe a leaf spring had snapped, but it turned out to be a broken trailer frame  (fp)

One of the mounts for the leaf springs had actually punched right through the frame where it had rusted  :surprised:

If you look closely at this pic, you can see where the trailer frame bent just behind the wheel.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Time to Retire My Trailer
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 02:32:48 PM »
What caused all of that rust so quick?
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 02:59:37 PM »
What caused all of that rust so quick?

My guess would be poor quality steel and a lack of ventilation.

It's also a tubular steelframe, which is basically rust waiting to happen. I have no idea why trailer manufacturers even use boxed/tubular steel frames any longer. They are proven to be poor when it comes to rusting. And they rust from the inside, out. So you don't even know they're rusting until something breaks.  :crying:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 10:32:24 PM »
..... I have no idea why trailer manufacturers even use boxed/tubular steel frames any longer....

Tube construction has a high weight:strength ratio. Weight = $ in construction costs.

C-channel is considerably heavier (more $) but with a little attention, will last forever 'cause there's no place to retain water.

I've got one going on 30 years old and going nowhere near the salvage yard.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 07:35:48 AM »

Tube construction has a high weight:strength ratio. Weight = $ in construction costs.

C-channel is considerably heavier (more $) but with a little attention, will last forever 'cause there's no place to retain water.

I've got one going on 30 years old and going nowhere near the salvage yard.

Agree on all points. In the end, it comes down to trailer manufacturers saving money on production costs. With all of today's technology, there has to be some way to create a way to allow the inside of that frame to dry more efficiently. But, that also costs more money to make the trailers.

Thankfully, I have a good friend who is going to loan me a galvanized Karavan trailer to get me through until I can get a replacement, probably over the winter.  :thumbup:

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 09:39:20 AM »
I have a welder/fabricator looking at my trailer sometime soon. He thinks he might be able to salvage it for me by cutting out and replacing the rotted sections of steel.

I hope to swap my boat out to the loaner trailer later today.

More to come...  (yes)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 11:15:02 AM »
Well, the welder/fabrication guy is supposed to be here tomorrow morning to look at the trailer. I'm hoping he takes it home with him to get it done.

Can't wait to get my boat back on the trailer that was made for it.

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 06:51:38 PM »
Hope all goes well for the rebuild.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 08:45:10 PM »
He will be coming back Friday morning to do the repair here in my yard. Excited to get it fixed!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 12:16:56 PM »
Well, the welding dude took my trailer this morning. I should have it back later today, ready to roll again. Pics to come  :nod:

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 01:21:35 PM »
It lives!!

The welder did a fantastic job!! He replaced the two crossmembers that broke two years ago. He also repaired and reinforced the spring mount that had broken. And he straightened the frame where it had bent when the spring mount broke.

He also created and welded in new brackets for the bunks, since one of them had gotten bent and the others were getting weak.

On top of all that, he painted all of the new metal.

The boat is now sitting back on its own trailer and ready for me to fish again  :nod:

« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 09:50:20 PM by Curt »

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 04:16:43 PM »
Congrats Curt.  It looks like he does good work.

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal