Electronics Forums > General Electronics Q&A

Electronics Upgrades

<< < (2/9) > >>

Nightmare:

--- Quote from: Curt on October 17, 2019, 01:48:33 PM --- I don't need giant screens. On top of that, they don't cost 3 arms and 4 legs to buy. Still shopping though
--- End quote ---

I noted before concerning the "previously-owned" market and add (A) that some significant coin can be saved, and (B) gain more features for the price than buying new. Also the market switch to newer versions of a given line of product provides savings on the previous generation being cleared out.

Can't stress enough with all the features available now, to KNOW WHAT YOU'RE BUYING! I spend a lot of time on a specific Lowrance forum and CANNNN-NNNOT believe the people that gotta buy the latest whiz-bang but have no clue what it does, how it does, or what it DOESN'T do. They thought this, or, they were told that, or, they "heard"... spend big bucks but don't end up with what they thought they were buying. Drives me nuts....  (fp)

Nightmare:

--- Quote from: Eric Low on October 15, 2019, 09:44:57 PM ---Lakemaster has done a much better job charting than navionics
--- End quote ---

That's what I've heard - a lot. Although I've also heard that Navionics covers water that Lakemaster doesn't - don't know - ain't got LM. Makes an argument for running both brands but then ya start runnin' outta real estate to plant everything on....  (shrug)

Jig Man:
If I were you I’d stick with Humminbirds.  I ran Lowrances for years.  If something goes wrong under warranty you get a referbed replacement.  They collect units until they have a bunch then send them to Mexico for repairs.  Humminbird repairs and returns the unit to you.

I broke 3 ribs which didn’t heal properly.  I bought a trolling motor that would stow and deploy without me having to pull a rope.  After I got it I found out that it would do so much more if I matched it with Birds.  So I bought a couple.  Months into ownership and I am still struggling with the language change.

If you change brands you will be looking at a significant learning curve if you want to get the most out of your units.

Curt:
Once again, thanks for all the great feedback!

Pre-owned units definitely save a ton of money. My biggest concern with that, though, is buying a unit (or two) that is out of warranty and having it break down on me 6 months later.

I don't need a ton of fancy features. I use my electronics for very basic stuff like depth, contours, saving waypoints, etc. Yes, I want good side imaging capabilities and I want good screen resolution. But beyond that a lot of the features offered today are just fluff for me.

Jig Man:
Take a look at the Helix model if you don’t need touch screens.  They can do most everything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version