BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 174
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Electronics Upgrades  (Read 25408 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Re: Electronics Upgrades
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 10:18:50 AM »

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2019, 04:11:05 PM »
All of this makes my head hurt. LOL  :nod: (giggle)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Eric Low

• Smallmouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2019, 06:40:16 PM »
Got an email today from Russell Marine trolling for sales. Flabbergasted that for just 238 a month.......

Pretty bad when you need to sign a mortgage to buy a depth finder!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2019, 06:47:10 PM »
I got that same one.  It must be computer generated since I have a Humminbird 360 at their shop which I am picking up next week.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2019, 08:21:41 PM »
Got an email today from Russell Marine trolling for sales. Flabbergasted that for just 238 a month.......

Pretty bad when you need to sign a mortgage to buy a depth finder!

They do that with so many things now. They'll wave anything they can in front of your face to try to entice you.

And, yes, it is sad that prices have risen so high on items like these that they even have to consider offering financing.  (fp)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2019, 07:30:18 PM »
After doing my research, I am shooting for the Helix 9. My question now is whether I I need side imaging on the bow unit or not. My current setup has side imaging at the console, but not on the bow. Back when I bought those units, nobody was running side imaging on the bow units. Maybe that has changed??

The Helix 9 is $400 less if it has DI, but not SI!

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2019, 09:54:19 PM »
I'm not currently running HB, but a significant % of Lowrance users in the past have claimed SI doesn't work worth a crap on the TM - i.e. images smear from turning the TM. My perspective is that this is true inasmuch as the sudden/sharp turn of the TM would of course smear the images but a gradual extended and constant turn (long enough to get a picture) or straight run should return as good an image as that on the transom.

I have the equipment (Lowrance) to equip both my TM and stern with down/side scan, although not mounted at the moment. The front set-up was used when I got it along with the head unit and complete rigging so it didn't cost me a $400 difference.

My opinion (affordable as it is) is that if you like the side imaging capability, it should work within the parameters I explained, as long as mounted as level as possible when in use. Whether the $ difference is worth it is your determination. If you like the feature and make use of it often, I'd go for it, as I'm thinking you're not the type that changes electronics every whip-stitch.

I don't know if you can network the front and back on those units to show back info on the front screen, or not, which would be an option - although your info would be 18' old when seeing it up front.

It's one of those "if you have it you don't have to use it - if you don't have it, you CAN'T use it"

(shrug)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 10:06:20 PM by Nightmare »

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2019, 10:04:12 PM »
Not being an HB user, can you advise if the Helix 9 is G2n or G3n? 2nd gen is probably still availalable until stock is sold out and I assume it's not 1st gen model. An exact model package would help look it up to see what it's capabilities are.
 (hmm)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2019, 09:53:11 AM »
Not being an HB user, can you advise if the Helix 9 is G2n or G3n? 2nd gen is probably still availalable until stock is sold out and I assume it's not 1st gen model. An exact model package would help look it up to see what it's capabilities are.
 (hmm)

Thanks for all the feedback. I do appreciate it.

Yes, it is G3N.

Here is the info for both, the SI and the DI only so they can be compared side by side.

https://dicks-sporting-goods.ryvx.net/LqWB3

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2019, 02:33:58 PM »
I have run di and si both places for years.  Di is what I have found the most useful.  Since I have gone to HB I only opted for di at the bow.

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2019, 02:47:53 PM »
What unit do you have on the console that has SI?

Making some uninformed assumptions, I looked at HB site for info regarding e-net sharing. Going to this ---> https://www.humminbird.com/support/faqs/what-information-shares-when-i-network-my-humminbird-units-together and following a link down the page for specific charts as to what units share what 'ducer info. Makin' a wag that you can get SI from console unit on front BUT hence the question above. Then a matter of if you can "live" with using slightly old info at the front to save $.

Too bad they don't share mapping (if you make use of additional map chips).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 03:09:33 PM by Nightmare »

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2019, 05:29:44 PM »
My current console unit is a Humminbird 798C SI.

It is networked with my bow unit via a Humminbird Interlink unit.

Regarding the networking, it's the waypoints that get shared, not any of the screens. So with the current setup, the Interlink actually stores the waypoints and shares them out to each participating unit. I like that because if I mark a waypoint on either unit, it will show up on the other unit.

Based on my research, it looks like I will end up with a Helix 9 on the bow, with just DI, not SI. I don't think it's worth the extra money to have an SI unit up front in light of the fact that, based on feedback from other users that I have talked with, the quality of the SI images on a TM mounted transducer typically aren't great quality.

So, now it's just a matter of finding the right deal on one. Dick's actually had 25% off everything on Friday and Saturday, which I had hoped to take advantage of, since it would have saved me a lot of money, but I wasn't quite ready to pull the trigger.

Soon, hopefully.

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2019, 08:41:05 PM »
Yoy may want to check Cabelas.  I heard that they have a good sale on them now.

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2019, 10:27:26 AM »
Yoy may want to check Cabelas.  I heard that they have a good sale on them now.

Thanks @Jig Man I just took a look and their price was exactly the same as Dick's.

$100 cheaper than the Dick's price unless I'm missin' sumpin...

Thanks @Nightmare I just took a look and saw that this is a CHO unit. I didn't know what that was, so I checked it out further and saw that it is a Control Head Only. No transducer included!

Same price at Bass Pro, too.

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal