BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 183
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Electronics Upgrades  (Read 25359 times)

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
Re: Electronics Upgrades
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2019, 11:14:34 AM »
That's goofy - I went back to double check and it said right in there includes transducer.  (hmm)

Well, when in doubt - pass.  (shrug)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2019, 11:22:42 AM »
Yes, it is goofy. At the top it says it includes a transducer, etc.

Closer to the bottom it says this:

All of Humminbird's fish finders include a transducer, except for a Control Head Only (CHO) model with MEGA Down Imaging+. This model is a great fit for those looking to select their own accessory transducer or pair with a Minn Kota trolling motor with Built-in MEGA Down Imaging.

As you said, when in doubt, pass. I think I will pass  (shrug)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2019, 07:24:58 PM »
Yep CHO is Control Head Only.  That is why they are about $500 less than the si.  I have 2 of them on the front of my boat.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2019, 11:02:33 AM »
Well, I found my new unit! Special thanks to @Nightmare for pointing me in the right direction, helping me contact a BBC member who had a brand new one for sale.

It's a Humminbird Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA DI G3N. It'll be a perfect fit on the bow of my boat and an awesome replacement for the 10 year old 5 inch unit I have been using for so long now.

Best of all, I got it for $200 under retail, brand new and still in the sealed box.  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks to Nightmare for all the help!

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2019, 11:39:16 AM »
Sweet.  Which ducer are you going to use?

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2019, 12:23:29 PM »
Sweet.  Which ducer are you going to use?

It comes with a transducer, which I am assuming will probably be the transom transducer. I'm going to contact Humminbird to find out which one comes with it and then go from there. I don't know much about these transducers yet, so maybe I'm missing the point of your question completely?  (shrug)

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2019, 03:36:34 PM »
I don’t know much about them either.  I was just wondering if it is down or 2d.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2019, 04:51:44 PM »
I don’t know much about them either.  I was just wondering if it is down or 2d.

I will do some digging and let you know what I find out  :thumbup:

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2019, 10:36:24 AM »
The new Helix is shipping out to me today!  (woohoo)

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2019, 04:25:41 PM »
Great

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2019, 05:31:14 PM »
Well, the Helix arrived yesterday!  (woohoo)

Since then, I have done a bot of homework and digging around. In doing so, I have discovered that the Helix will easily network with my older 798CI HD SI that is still on my console! That was great news to me because the lack of networking was concerning to me when I was pondering on replacing the bow unit.

The Helix units won't network or communicate via the Humminbird Interlink that I installed in my boat years ago, so the 2 units will be connected directly to each other via an Ethernet cable and one adapter.

Oddly enough, even though the N in G3N stands for network, it doesn't have a port that will accept an Ethernet cable, so I will need to buy an adapter for that. In light of the fact that the 798 does have an Ethernet port, there will be no adapter needed on that end.

The adapter will cost roughly $25-$30.

The Ethernet cable will cost me between $40 and $50, depending on the length I need to buy. I'm guessing a 15 footer will be more than sufficient, since my boat is only 18 feet, and the cable will only need to run from the bow to the console.

I was also told that I will need to make sure that the 798 is running the latest software updates, so I have downloaded that update and will be applying it soon via the SD card slot.

Lastly, I spoke with Humminbird today and asked them if I could exchange the transducer that came with it for a TM style transducer. They said they would do that free of charge, provided the transducer I send them has never been mounted or used. So glad I asked, since using the transom transducer on the TM wasn't really an idea that thrilled me.

In light of the fact that it is only December, and I most likely won't be back on the water until at least February (more likely March), I definitely have time to get this done well in advance  :nod:

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2019, 07:11:41 PM »

Oddly enough, even though the N in G3N stands for network, it doesn't have a port that will accept an Ethernet cable, so I will need to buy an adapter for that. In light of the fact that the 798 does have an Ethernet port, there will be no adapter needed on that end.

The Ethernet cable will cost me between $40 and $50, depending on the length I need to buy.

I was also told that I will need to make sure that the 798 is running the latest software updates, so I have downloaded that update and will be applying it soon via the SD card slot.

Lastly, I spoke with Humminbird today and asked them if I could exchange the transducer that came with it for a TM style transducer. They said they would do that free of charge, provided the transducer I send them has never been mounted or used.

* First thought comes to mind is, "what then, constitutes Network?". Secondly, if there's no e-net connector, what pray tell does an e-net adapter connect TO?

That's just double-odd sounding....  :o

* Yup. L is mighty ridiculously proud of their e-net cables also... My nephew commented that he could put 'em together hella cheaper until I challenged him to find their proprietary connectors.  :surprised:

* Gotta love dem updates. I hope for you that HB's work out better than L's.... It's always a 50/50 shot that one problem gets fixed but causes others...  (hmm)

* Bird was always good about that.  :thumbup:

Looking forward to hearing more.

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2019, 10:30:38 AM »
I think the interlink went the way of the do do bird.  Humminbird has so many different cables and hook ups that go with this unit or that unit.  I don’t even try to get them straight.  I just tell Scott and Brad what I want to accomplish, leave the boat, and let them wave their magic wand over it.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2019, 11:47:45 PM »
I just tell Scott and Brad what I want to accomplish, leave the boat, and let them wave their magic wand over it.

That's the best way if it's anything complicated  :nod:

if there's no e-net connector, what pray tell does an e-net adapter connect TO?

Now that's a really good question!

My nephew commented that he could put 'em together hella cheaper until I challenged him to find their proprietary connectors.  :surprised:

I commented to the lady on the phone that their Ethernet cables kind of confused me since they didn't have RJ45 connectors on the ends. And being a tech guy, I had actually thought that I could just use a standard Ethernet cable until I had spoken with her!  (giggle)

Gotta love dem updates. I hope for you that HB's work out better than L's

I've done updates in the past and they have been pretty effortless, with no problems at all.

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal