BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 184
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Installing My New Helix 8  (Read 14698 times)

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Installing My New Helix 8
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2020, 06:04:16 PM »
That is new to me.  I have a ferrite choke in my MK power cord.  I have had one on my last 3 trolling motors.  When I had MG and Lowrance it was an absolute must.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2020, 07:51:37 PM »
Today I finally finished the Helix installation. There have been so many steps in this process!

Today I cut the new 12 gauge wire that I had looped under my console and installed the new fuse panel.

Here's where the fuse panel will get mounted. This is where my Humminbird Interlink has been mounted for the last 5 or 6 years.

There was about a 1/8 inch gap here at the bottom, so I cut a couple pieces of plastic that I used to shim it and make it pretty close to even. My concern was that not shimming this would put stress on the fuse panel when I tightened the screws down, possibly cracking it.

Here it is, screwed into place.

Now the main power is connected to the panel.

And the leads for the Helix are connected.

The cover is on. This part is finished!

Next, I went to the stern and connected the choke that Humminbird suggested I add, to prevent trolling motor interference. This required me to cut the terminal ends off the onboard charger leads and attach the choke in their place.

After doing all of this, I reconnected the power and negative leads to the cranking battery.

Then I tested everything. Everything worked perfectly.

Next, I updated the software on my 798, so it could network with the Helix. The update want without a hitch. I tested that afterward and it all worked as expected.

I even spent some time playing with the networking settings on both units. In doing so, I found that I could actually view the side imaging from the 798 transducer on the Helix, while also viewing the DI and other screens from the Helix transducer, all on the Helix screen.

I know that as I spend more time with these, I will figure out more stuff.

I'm just glad this part is all done and I can start using it!  (yes)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 09:19:26 PM by Curt »

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2020, 08:13:17 PM »
Looking forward to some screen shots. Pitter patter, watcha waitin' on?  (shrug)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2020, 09:27:55 PM »
Looking forward to some screen shots. Pitter patter, watcha waitin' on?  (shrug)

I will definitely be getting lots of screenshots and pics to share as I spend time with it. I'm hoping I can get on the water this week. It's supposed to be a decent week, weatherwise, so I have high hopes.  (yes)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2020, 11:19:36 AM »
Wanted to post some pics to show the transducer installation, with the shield also installed.

This pic shows it from a different angle.

This one shows how I used a piece of rubber oil line to protect the transducer cable from nicks and chafing if I happen to glance off a rock from the side.

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal