Electronics Forums > Humminbird Forum

Playing With the New Helix

(1/8) > >>

Curt:
Well, I had some time this afternoon, so I decided to connect the new Helix and make sure it powered on correctly.

Happy to report that it did just that!

Next, I will be removing the old 788 and prepping to install the Helix.

While I was playing with it, I did notice that the mounting bracket that came with it is fairly tall. I set it in front of my TM foot pedal and found that I will probably be able to mount it using the stock bracket, at least initially, and start the season using it that way.

If I find that it sits too low, then I will opt for an aftermarket mount to raise it up a bit higher.

As I move into the installation, the importing of the data from my old unit, and then actual on-the-water use, I will be writing about it over at TackleTest.com, to document the whole process, sharing what I like, what I don't like, and what I learn about it.

More to come...  :nod:

Jig Man:
The Helix is definitely the work horse of the Humminbird brand.

Curt:
Well, I spent a bit more time in the garage today, playing with the Helix.

The best part is that I got all of my GPS stuff imported from the old 788  (woohoo)

It was actually, very, very easy to do and took less than 5 minutes. Once I had done that, I spent some time cleaning up old waypoints that I no longer needed. Then I start figuring out how and where I will mount it.

Now that I have that figured out, I will start working on getting it done, step by step.

Jig Man:
Sounds good.  You probably have a bit of time to work on it with your long winters.

Curt:

--- Quote from: Jig Man on December 28, 2019, 08:27:25 PM ---Sounds good.  You probably have a bit of time to work on it with your long winters.

--- End quote ---

Definitely have time. I don't want to put it off, though, since we do sometimes have a thaw in February that allows me to get out and fish!

On another note, I have been told by a couple guys to make sure that I have a good power source for this unit, since the bigger screen tends to draw more than my old 788. I was advised to run a new wire directly from the battery, with an inline fuse for safety. I think I might just do that, just to be sure there are no issues with power.  :nod:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version