Electronics Forums > Humminbird Forum

Playing With the New Helix

<< < (2/8) > >>

Jig Man:
I doubt you will have to rewire with only this unit being added.  The larger the screen the more it draws.  If you should experience extra draw you can reduce the screen brightness.

Curt:

--- Quote from: Jig Man on December 30, 2019, 11:25:26 AM ---I doubt you will have to rewire with only this unit being added.  The larger the screen the more it draws.  If you should experience extra draw you can reduce the screen brightness.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Jig Man. Looking back, I have definitely had intermittent issues with the wiring in the front, even with the 788. I think I have have resolved it, but I will do some voltage testing, just to be sure.

My 798 on the console always shows higher voltage than the 788 at the bow. Sometimes the voltage was as much as 2-3 volts difference. Again, I will do some testing. I'd rather spend a few hours and a little money to have it working 100% than to have to worry about it flaking out on me on the water  :nod:

I'm guessing that the wire needed should have to be no more than 14 or 12 gauge, so buying 50 feet of it won't be that expensive.  (nope)

The hardest part will be snaking it through the hull, but it's not like I haven't had to do that before.

Jig Man:
I'd go bigger so it won't have to be replaced later.  Some guys are going as large as 6 gauge on the new electronics.  If you have a fish tape it shouldn't be much of a problem to pull the wires.  I have pulled a bunch of wires with my old Harbor Freight fish tape.  If you lived closer I'd come by and help you.

Curt:
Wow. 6 gauge for electronics??  :surprised:

That's what most guys use for trolling motors. But I guess it's better to be safe than sorry  :nod:

Thanks for the offer to help me! I think it would be a fairly long drive, though  (giggle)

Jig Man:
6 would probably be over kill for you.  I know some guys who run as many as 5 large screen units.  There is a big juice draw with all of them on at the same time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version