Electronics Forums > General Electronics Q&A

Transducer Protector

<< < (2/5) > >>

Curt:

--- Quote from: JackJ on January 03, 2020, 12:17:39 PM ---No I have lowrance.

--- End quote ---

OK. I think the Lowrance transducers are smaller than the HB transducers. Do you have a pic of your trolling motor transducer with the guard installed?

Curt:
I contacted the people at Transducer Shield and Saver to see if they make a protector for mine.

It turns out that they do, but I about fell out of my chair when I saw the price.  (fp)

https://www.transducershieldandsaver.com/product/tm-h7-1-fits-humminbird-solix-mega-g2n-ditransducer-xm-14-hw-mdi-t-or-helix-mega-g3n-di-transducer-xm-9-hw-mdi-t/

$179. Really??  (nope)

JackJ:
Yep, but how much does a new transducer cost?

That is similar to the one I have on my transducer on my jackplate for the side imaging unit.    The one I have on my trolling motor looks a bit different though (it's just down imaging).

Curt:

--- Quote ---Yep, but how much does a new transducer cost?
--- End quote ---

Trust me, @JackJ I have thought of that too. A new transducer costs $250. I just hate when things like this are priced ridiculously. I feel like they jack the prices up on some of these items because they know they are the only option on the market.

And, once people start paying that kind of price, it will never go down.

Nightmare:

--- Quote from: Curt on January 07, 2020, 10:51:31 AM --- I just hate when things like this are priced ridiculously. I feel like they jack the prices up on some of these items because they know they are the only option on the market.
--- End quote ---

Yeah, it does seem a tad high doesn't it? One the flip side of the coin, there IS more to it than just haphazardly bending some tin and drilling a few holes. In order for it to be an exceptional product, a lot of engineering goes into design for it to hold up to abuse as expected by customers and properly function in the long haul. If it doesn't meet expectations, it won't hold favor with customers and those same customers will be THE worst advertising to be had.

If someone else can build a comparable product for less (and stay in business), the market will dictate the level of success for each product and correspondingly establish what pricing that market will bear.

As per previous discussion, some folks are capable of various levels of creating their own solutions to a given need. Some of those solutions are really no more that blatant patent infringement (purely copying a commercial product) while others actually come up a unique ideas.  Other folks aren't blessed with the technical skills to create their own solutions and are the front-line consumers of commercially produced accessories that allow them to do what they want to accomplish.

Disclaimer: Yep - it's a little pricey, I agree. But I also bought the unit that I needed (from this same outfit) to cut to the chase to mount up a 2D TM puck and LSS1 structure scan for my HDS, on my tm. On the flip side, I designed and built my own adjustable mount to attach my LSS2 ss  to my jackplate. If I averaged the first's purchase price with the cost of materials on the second, it made it reasonable (to my tight-azz mind).  ;)

Now - you want to get me riled, start talking about justifying the price of a $400 baitcasting reel over a $50-60 reel. Never going to convince me. I won't argue that you're not entitled to spend that much money....but don't argue with me when I think you fell and hit yer head!  (shrug) (giggle)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version