Electronics Forums > Humminbird Forum

Installing My New Helix 8

(1/4) > >>

Curt:
Well, I had some time yesterday afternoon, so I fired up the garage heater and spent a couple hours out there to get the ball rolling with the Helix 8 install.

Before I could work on the boat, I had to clear the back deck of all the rods I had laying on it. Once I got that done, I had to figure out where to start with all of this.

I chose to start by finishing the removal of the old Humminbird 788 that has been up on the bow for the last 10 years.

Once that was done, I set about the task of removing my recessed TM foot pedal tray from the front deck and drilling a hole in the front of it, for re-routing the trolling motor power cable through it.

When that was done, I routed the cable and reinstalled the tray, as well as the foot pedal.

Here is what it looked like before:

Here is what it looked like after:

The space in front of the tray is where I will mount the unit during the next few days.

The biggest task, by far, will be snaking the new wire from the battery to the console, where I will mount a new fuse panel, and then from there,  up to bow of the boat, where it will connect to the Helix.

Jig Man:
If you don’t have one, buy a fish tape.  They make wiring much easier.

Nightmare:

--- Quote from: Jig Man on February 25, 2020, 04:38:25 AM ---If you don’t have one, buy a fish tape.  They make wiring much easier.

--- End quote ---

I've also had luck with using the light duty pvc pipe in routing both wiring and transducer cable. Easier to support that than the tape, depending on how far ya gotta go. Just another option for getting 'er done. Can also fasten in place as a chase for additional future wiring.

Just don't run 'ducer cable AND wiring thru same - can see that being a interference recipe waiting to happen.  (whew)

Curt:
I actually do have a light duty fish tape that I have used a few times to run wires through the boat. The best part is that when I have run wires in the past, I have also run nylon rope and left it in there for future wire runs. So when it comes to this run, I should already have a piece of rope in there that I can connect the wire to and just pull it right through  :nod:

Nightmare:
^^^^^^  :thumbup: :thumbup: 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version