BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 174
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Installing My New Helix 8  (Read 14739 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Installing My New Helix 8
« on: February 24, 2020, 10:33:04 AM »
Well, I had some time yesterday afternoon, so I fired up the garage heater and spent a couple hours out there to get the ball rolling with the Helix 8 install.

Before I could work on the boat, I had to clear the back deck of all the rods I had laying on it. Once I got that done, I had to figure out where to start with all of this.

I chose to start by finishing the removal of the old Humminbird 788 that has been up on the bow for the last 10 years.

Once that was done, I set about the task of removing my recessed TM foot pedal tray from the front deck and drilling a hole in the front of it, for re-routing the trolling motor power cable through it.

When that was done, I routed the cable and reinstalled the tray, as well as the foot pedal.

Here is what it looked like before:

Here is what it looked like after:

The space in front of the tray is where I will mount the unit during the next few days.

The biggest task, by far, will be snaking the new wire from the battery to the console, where I will mount a new fuse panel, and then from there,  up to bow of the boat, where it will connect to the Helix.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Installing My New Helix 8
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 04:38:25 AM »
If you don’t have one, buy a fish tape.  They make wiring much easier.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 07:13:40 AM »
If you don’t have one, buy a fish tape.  They make wiring much easier.

I've also had luck with using the light duty pvc pipe in routing both wiring and transducer cable. Easier to support that than the tape, depending on how far ya gotta go. Just another option for getting 'er done. Can also fasten in place as a chase for additional future wiring.

Just don't run 'ducer cable AND wiring thru same - can see that being a interference recipe waiting to happen.  (whew)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 07:58:39 AM »
I actually do have a light duty fish tape that I have used a few times to run wires through the boat. The best part is that when I have run wires in the past, I have also run nylon rope and left it in there for future wire runs. So when it comes to this run, I should already have a piece of rope in there that I can connect the wire to and just pull it right through  :nod:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 08:03:55 AM »
^^^^^^  :thumbup: :thumbup: 8)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 10:25:07 AM »
Oh, and I will also pull rope through with this next wire run, to replace the rope that I will be using to pull these wires through.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 09:38:14 PM »
Well, this afternoon I fired up the heater in my garage and went to work on getting all of the necessary wires pulled through my hull to get me moving forward with the installation again.

First, my trusty nylon rope!

Next, I pulled the wire through to the console, where I left a large loop that I will cut and install a fuse panel. Then, I completed the pull all the way through to the bow.

While I was at it, I also pulled the 15 ft. Ethernet cable from the console to the bow, pictured here.

Tomorrow I hope to get all of the connectors and terminal ends on the 12 gauge wire, as well as adding the adapter cables to the Ethernet cable, and installing the mounting bracket!

More pics to come.  :nod:

By the way, my trusty propane heater took the temperature in my garage from a frigid 40 degrees, all the way to a comfy 55! It was almost the perfect temperature for the work I was doing.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 01:20:29 PM by Curt »

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 08:51:27 PM »
Did some more work on this today. Trying to get it wrapped up!

Got the mounting bracket screwed down this weekend, but didn't get much past that.

I was determined to get this thing done today. And here it is  (yes)

Here's another angle.

I tried playing with tilting it at different angles.

Glad this part is all done!!  (yes)

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 10:17:55 PM »
Gettin' there  :thumbup:

So, is that your new ducer cable that you have zip-tied to the tm cable sheath - or is that the old ducer that you haven't taken off yet? Reason I ask is, I've seen some rigging where the guy run the cable up the shaft to the head - and then down the arm to the hinge point - then along the base to a point close to the mfd. It then jumps over to the mfd.

In my mind (for better or worse) that approach removes at least 50% of the ducer cable being a potential receiver of interference from the tm power lines. Also appears it would negate potential snags on the ducer cable.

Now this all comes from the person that literally spiral-wrapped his ducer cable to follow the tm cable (in the 'valley' of the sheath). Reasoning at the time being in the 'valley' protected the ducer cable from getting hung up on stuff.....and it took up a lot of excess ducer cable length since I was using a transom ducer on the tm. Fortunately and surprisingly enough, the only interference I experience is at the instant I hit the GO button on the pedal - and it's pretty minor so don't really think much about it.

Just throwin' it out there.  (shrug)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 11:05:11 AM »
the guy run the cable up the shaft to the head - and then down the arm to the hinge point - then along the base to a point close to the mfd. It then jumps over to the mfd.

@Nightmare Thanks for the suggestions!

To answer your question, yes, that is the cable for my new transducer.

Regarding your suggestion as to how you saw someone else rig their cable, when you say that he ran it from the head down the control arm to the hinge point, I'm assuming that you're referring to the top half of the trolling motor bracket.

If so, how did they secure the cable to the arm? And on my setup, once I'm at the base, I wouldn't need to go much further to get to the Helix.

I'm all for trying a new, better way of rigging it. BUt I'd like to know a tad more before I try it  :thumbup:

Oh, and what is mfd. that you referred to?  (shrug)

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 11:29:29 AM »

Regarding your suggestion as to how you saw someone else rig their cable, when you say that he ran it from the head down the control arm to the hinge point, I'm assuming that you're referring to the top half of the trolling motor bracket.

If so, how did they secure the cable to the arm? And on my setup, once I'm at the base, I wouldn't need to go much further to get to the Helix.

Oh, and what is mfd. that you refer to?

(hmm) Ya, think you're assuming right what I was trying to convey.

Something I'd do with the cable at the hinge point is throw a small loop in the cable between top shaft tie-down and first top arm tie down. This will prevent "working" the cable every time the tm is deployed/retracted....which in turn would create a failure location from bending. Similar to what I do when tying down on the shaft where the rotating portion meets the non-turning portion.....I run 1-2 wraps around the shaft with the ducer cable, just short of snug when the tm is turned all the way one direction (direction of wrap) - cause its gonna loosen up some when turned completely the opposite direction. Again, reason is so there isn't a bending back and forth of the cable from turning the tm.

Everyone has their way of doing things for whatever reasons.

It appeared that they must have drilled small holes to run zip ties thru to hold cable in place. There are all kinds of whachacallits out there to hold cable in place if zip ties don't tickle your fancy - just gotta figure out what they're called so you can ask for or search for 'em.

MFD = multi-function display (head unit)

If any of my explanation is inadequate, just ask for clarification. This is one of those situations where a picture would be worth a whole lotta words....  (whew)

*Note: If you haven't had previous issues doing it the same way as this time, and you've got it on there now, let 'er fly as is. Can always try the other way if need to.  (shrug)

AAAND we'll see if Bullet says that I make this way too complicated....  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 09:26:56 PM by Nightmare »

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 11:30:51 AM »
It appeared that they must have drilled small holes to run zip ties thru to hold cable in place.

OK. That's what I figured they did.

MFD = multi-function display (head unit)

That's also what I figured. Wanted to be sure  :thumbup:

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 06:56:50 PM »
Spent a bit more time working on the boat this afternoon.

Today I focused mainly on the old 798 at the console. I deleted all of the waypoints and routes from the Interlink and then disconnected it and removed it from under my console.

I also deleted all of the waypoints from the 798 itself, since I will be uploading all of the exact same waypoints that I uploaded to the new Helix. This way I start off with the same exact info on both.

I also connected the Ethernet cable to the 798, so now it is connected to both units. I just need to update the software on the 798 to the latest version now, so it will play nice with the Helix.

I got the new fuse panel in the mail today, so I will be installing that next, after I've finished with the software on the 798.

Then I need to install the choke on the cranking battery, to prevent trolling motor interference on the units.

This has all been a lot of work, but I've enjoyed most of it, and having the new Helix running at the bow should make it worth the effort and the work   :thumbup:

This has also given me the opportunity to clean up some wiring here and there, making sure everything is neat and tidy  :nod:

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 08:29:29 PM »

Then I need to install the choke on the cranking battery, to prevent trolling motor interference on the units.

I don’t understand why you would put a choke there.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 09:35:14 AM »
I don’t understand why you would put a choke there.

I didn't either, especially since the choke gets installed between the onboard charger and the cranking battery. Since the Humminbirds are connected to the cranking battery, it would seem that they are isolated from the trolling motor. Since the onboard charger isn't being run while the boat is on the water, there shouldn't be any risk of anything from that either.

So, I called Humminbird to ask them about it. Here's what they told me:

Because the trolling motor is connected to the 3-bank onboard charger, there is a connection between the trolling motor and the cranking battery, via the wiring and circuitry in the onboard charger. So this makes it possible for electrical signals and possible interference to make it's way through the trolling motor, into the onboard charger, and then to the cranking battery, to which the Birds are connected.

Once they explained it to me, it made sense.

Now, if I had only a two-bank charger connected to the TM batteries, and the cranking battery was charged separately, either by a single bank onboard charger, or a single external charger, there would be no need to install the choke. But since I do have a 3-bank charger that has all three batteries connected to it, they strongly recommend installing the choke.

And since they strongly recommend it, I will go ahead and do it, just to make sure I eliminate the possibility of any problems.  (yes)

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal