BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 160
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Some Other Boat Updates  (Read 10889 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Some Other Boat Updates
« on: March 08, 2020, 07:59:57 PM »
In addition to installing the new Helix, I also have some other updates I'm working on.

One of them, which I am in the middle of right now, is to install a 2-port USB charger/Voltage Meter.

Today, after finishing the Helix wiring, I cut the hole in dashboard and mounted the unit, but didn't have the wire needed to connect it, so I had to call it quits for the evening.

I will grab that tomorrow so I can get this part done ASAP.

Next on the list, connect the Humminbird 798 to the new fuse panel, so it will be on the same electrical circuit as the Helix.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Re: Some Other Boat Updates
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 09:05:11 PM »
I finished the USB Charger/Voltmeter installation this evening.

I used 12 gauge wire, just to be on the safe side. Here are the ends I crimped on, with heat shrink tubing to make it nice and tight.

Here is the fuse panel with the wires attached for the USB Charger ports attached.

Here is the finished installation with the cover down, which protects the USB ports from rain and dirt.

And here it is with the cover lifted up, showing the 2 ports.

Now that this is done, the only thing left is to add at least one more cup holder, possibly two.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 08:06:40 PM »
I worked on multiple items today!

The first was to reroute the power for my 798 to the new fuse block. It took me a while to dig that wire out from the place it had been hooked up by the dealer who installed it. But I got it done and then moved onto a few other various items.

Another one was to drill 4 new holes in the flange on my recessed trolling motor tray. For some reason, the factory only put one hole in the flange at the bottom end of the tray, right in the center. But none closer to the corners. So I drilled 4 new holes; 2 more on that bottom end flange, and 1 more on each side, close to the bottom corners.

I also hooked power up to my old 788 today so I could reset it to factory defaults and erase all of my waypoints so I can sell it.

Probably one of the biggest tasks was to put all of the tools away that I've been using for the last couple weeks.  :surprised:

I have been putting some away as I finished with them, but still had a fair number of them in the boat.

Only thing left is one more cup holder. Then it's time to load the rods back into the lockers and go fishing!  (yes)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 08:05:47 PM »
I liked my new voltmeter so much that I decided to install another one on my boat  (giggle)

Because the first one shows me only the voltage for the cranking battery, I wanted another one that would show me the voltage of the two TM batteries, individually.

So, I just ordered this one from Amazon.

https://amzn.to/344nbjw

Now I won't have to guess as to the state of my batteries. And this will help me determine whether I need to spring for new batteries or not, since the existing ones are pushing 8-9 years old.  :surprised:

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 09:58:13 PM »
I don’t know about your helix but my solix units give me the voltage on the screen.  I have 1 connected to the cranking battery and the other 2 connected to my house battery. 

If your batteries are that old, they don’t owe you anything.  You must be living a charmed life.  I normally swap mine after 4 years with someone who really needs them and take their worn out ones as core exchanges and buy new ones.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 10:02:52 PM by Jig Man »
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 10:44:57 AM »
The Helix will show the voltage only on a specific screen. If I don't happen to have that screen showing, I don't know the voltage. But the USB charger that I installed recently also has a voltage meter in it, which shows me the voltage of the battery that runs my accessories.

Also, because I have my TM batteries run in series to produce 24V, I want to be able to monitor each battery individually, which is why I ordered the dual voltage meter.

As for the batteries being 8-9 years old, I use AGM batteries from a local company. They typically last me 9-10 years each. So, they are pretty much due for replacement, but I want to be able to monitor them anyway, just so I know for sure where they stand.

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal