Bass Boat Maintenance & Repairs > Bass Boat Maintenance

Cleaned My Hull

(1/3) > >>

Curt:
Quite a while back I had asked a question about whether I should use a Power Washer to clean the scum off my hull.

Well, this week I decided to try scrubbing it off with a cloth and some cleaning spray that I had on hand.

I tried some cheap window cleaner first. It was a Windex knockoff that came from Dollar Tree. Surprisingly, it worked OK, but I had to scrub like there was no tomorrow  (giggle)

So, then I grabbed my bottle of Mighty Tuff from my cabinet and tried that. What a difference! The scum literally loosened up before I could start wiping it off. So when I hit it with a cloth, it only required mild pressure to get it 100% clean.

Here's the starboard side of my hull, before.

And here it is after.

And here's a section of the stern that I took pics of.

Before:

After:

Jig Man:
It did a good job.  I use hydrochloric acid on my boat.  I just drd the cap, rub rail, sides and trailer.  The next project will be the hull.

Curt:
Isn't Hydrochloric acid a bit nasty to work with? I mean, isn't it dangerous?

JackJ:
I wipe mine down every time I pull it out with slick mist.  Not always the whole boat since I pull out late at night a lot, but I be sure to get where the scum line would happen.  I think the slick mist helps it not stick to it on the next trip.  Usually very easy to wipe off.

I also have one of those round mop looking brushes that helps get down there to help save my back and knees.

Jig Man:

--- Quote from: Curt on March 20, 2020, 08:54:52 AM ---Isn't Hydrochloric acid a bit nasty to work with? I mean, isn't it dangerous?

--- End quote ---
. Same stuff as toilet bowl cleaner only a little stronger.  I just did the hull.  It hadn’t been cleaned for about a year.  I sprayed it on gave it a couple of minutes to work then hit it with a quick soap and water.  I rinsed it off and it looks as good as new.

Jack I don’t know what slick mist is.  I assume it is a wax..  I don’t wax boats. I use Bow to Stern which is a polymer sealant.  I got lax with the boat and got some hard water buildup.  The hydrochloric acid gets rid of everything.  I am retreating everything before it goes back out. Then just a wet rag followed by a dry rag keeps it spotless. BTS only has to be applied occasionally after that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version