BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 198
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Cleaned My Hull  (Read 10461 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Cleaned My Hull
« on: March 19, 2020, 07:06:48 PM »
Quite a while back I had asked a question about whether I should use a Power Washer to clean the scum off my hull.

Well, this week I decided to try scrubbing it off with a cloth and some cleaning spray that I had on hand.

I tried some cheap window cleaner first. It was a Windex knockoff that came from Dollar Tree. Surprisingly, it worked OK, but I had to scrub like there was no tomorrow  (giggle)

So, then I grabbed my bottle of Mighty Tuff from my cabinet and tried that. What a difference! The scum literally loosened up before I could start wiping it off. So when I hit it with a cloth, it only required mild pressure to get it 100% clean.

Here's the starboard side of my hull, before.

And here it is after.

And here's a section of the stern that I took pics of.

Before:

After:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Cleaned My Hull
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 10:08:03 PM »
It did a good job.  I use hydrochloric acid on my boat.  I just drd the cap, rub rail, sides and trailer.  The next project will be the hull.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 08:54:52 AM »
Isn't Hydrochloric acid a bit nasty to work with? I mean, isn't it dangerous?

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 09:12:57 AM »
I wipe mine down every time I pull it out with slick mist.  Not always the whole boat since I pull out late at night a lot, but I be sure to get where the scum line would happen.  I think the slick mist helps it not stick to it on the next trip.  Usually very easy to wipe off.

I also have one of those round mop looking brushes that helps get down there to help save my back and knees.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 04:30:00 PM »
Isn't Hydrochloric acid a bit nasty to work with? I mean, isn't it dangerous?
. Same stuff as toilet bowl cleaner only a little stronger.  I just did the hull.  It hadn’t been cleaned for about a year.  I sprayed it on gave it a couple of minutes to work then hit it with a quick soap and water.  I rinsed it off and it looks as good as new.

Jack I don’t know what slick mist is.  I assume it is a wax..  I don’t wax boats. I use Bow to Stern which is a polymer sealant.  I got lax with the boat and got some hard water buildup.  The hydrochloric acid gets rid of everything.  I am retreating everything before it goes back out. Then just a wet rag followed by a dry rag keeps it spotless. BTS only has to be applied occasionally after that.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 01:16:25 PM by Jig Man »
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 01:47:23 PM »
Starting this year, I will be making an effort to wipe mine down after every trip. It should help reduce/eliminate the scum line drastically, compared to no wiping down at all.  :nod:

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 10:18:50 AM »
Slick Mist is a polymer also, with UV protection.   If I had to guess it's the same thing BTS is made of, just cheaper and you can get it at Walmart and any auto parts store usually.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 10:24:20 AM by JackJ »
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 10:43:39 AM »
Slick Mist is a polymer also, with UV protection.   If I had to guess it's the same thing BTS is made of, just cheaper and you can get it at Walmart and any auto parts store usually.

@JackJ Thanks for the info. I will have to check that out too.  :thumbup:

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 09:55:43 AM »
@JackJ Is this the stuff you use?

« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 09:57:50 AM by Curt »

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 05:15:36 PM »
Yes that is it.   I use it for the UV protection.  I used Bass Boat Saver and BTS in the past, this works just as good to me.
A quick wipe after I pull out each time, and it makes it a lot easier to clean later if it does get dirty.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 07:29:12 PM »
Yes that is it.   I use it for the UV protection.  I used Bass Boat Saver and BTS in the past, this works just as good to me.
A quick wipe after I pull out each time, and it makes it a lot easier to clean later if it does get dirty.

Awesome. Thanks!

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal