BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 184
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Getting Used to The New Humminbird Helix 8  (Read 20891 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
Getting Used to The New Humminbird Helix 8
« on: April 08, 2020, 11:36:13 AM »
Well, after a few fishing trips, I am starting to get used to the new Helix 8 on my bow!

I have to say that this thing is leaps and bounds above the old 788 that I was using, as well as leaps and bounds above the 798 still at my console.

The 8 inch screen isn't monstrous, but it is big enough to make things much easier to see and with much more detail, due to the higher screen resolution.

The added detail in the standard sonar view is incredible. Having the Side Imaging from my 798 SI transducer, which is mounted on the transom, is an added bonus that helps me see so much more is an added bonus, thanks to the networking of the two units.

I am just starting to play with the Auto Chart feature, to give me more detailed maps of the lakes that I fish the most often. There is a myriad of adjustments available with this feature that I am still learning.

I am also still learning about all of the new features and adjustments available when it comes to the standard sonar, the down imaging and the many different screens and views available. I will probably never learn them all  (nope)

So, here are a few screenshots that I have gotten this week. Please note that viewing them on your computer screen actually causes them to look pixelated and a bit blocky, but they don't look like that on the Helix. On the Helix, they are super crisp and sharp!

Here is the first screenshot that I grabbed, showing the standard sonar and the GPS view.

This show shows the Auto Chart feature being used, immediately after I had first turned it on.

This one shows the standard sonar view, along with the SI view, showing many of the rocks in this lake.

This one shows the standard sonar, Down Imaging and Side Imaging all on the same screen.

This one shows how much area I covered using the Auto Chart, as well as the Side Imaging, showing one large boulder and its shadow.

I thought this shot was cool because it shows a boulder that is broken in two pieces.

Here's a good one showing an old stone wall that was submerged when they filled the lake. The detail isn't as good as it could be because I need to adjust the scroll speed to coincide with the speed I was moving at. Still learning all of these little details.

Awesome Side Imaging shot, showing the shadows for the larger boulders. Again, it looked much better on the Helix screen, and the scroll speed settings need to be adjusted. But still a pretty cool image.

More to come!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 11:47:41 AM by Curt »

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
Re: Getting Used to The New Humminbird Helix 8
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 10:52:23 PM »
After all the grief I was givin' ya about putting up some screenshots on the new units, then I don't comment when ya do... What's wrong with me? Been busy workin' on my retirement plantation but made myself a mental note today to do a comeback.  ;)

This is one a them times I'm gonna be uncomfortably honest so don't take offense... Those SI pics look sorta grainy to me. Looking at the depths recorded in, wondered if it was because it was so shallow, maybe? The DI then looks kinda "hairy" on the bottom but wondered if was maybe early season weed growth.... or perhaps due to shallow depths vs signal strength?

Settings: signal strength, frequency, etc?

Wondered if you have new and improved shots to share? Maybe something besides 4' deep...  (yes)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 10:54:03 PM by Nightmare »

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 07:10:24 PM »
@Nightmare No offense taken.

First, the screenshots of side imaging are shows on the Helix, but produced using the transducer from my old 798. The images are displayed on my Helix via Ethernet. So, the quality of said pics is not going to be anywhere close to what the Helix could produce if it was an SI unit.

Also, the graininess is also due to the fact that I was moving very slowly at that time and not intending to be looking for anything with the SI. I was basically just trying the different views to see how they'd look all on one screen.

My scan speed settings for the screen weren't set properly for the speed I was moving at. If I remember correctly, the scan speed was set at 5, but I was only moving at 1.5 - 2.0 MPH.

The wind was also blowing at 15 MPH, making the boat rock a bit side to side. And, yes, it was only 4 ft deep. The lake I was fishing tops out at 6 ft.

I do hope to fish some lakes soon with a bit deeper water. I will try to get some new screenshots when that happens. But I don't expect the SI stuff to extremely sharp due to the fact that they're being read and transmitted from my 798, operating at 455 kHz.  ;)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 10:14:37 PM »
I gotcha ref the non-matched SI ducer. That makes a lot of sense along with speed settings. Not bad considering those factors.  (yes)

My L stuff is selectable 455/800, 800 the better detail setting but shorter range. I assume since 455 is specified on your screen, that you have another frequency available?

Any info regarding the "hairy" lookin bottom on DI?

Look forward to seeing some shots when you have her tuned in. Still, interesting to see learning-curve stuff.

:thumbup:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 10:17:12 PM by Nightmare »

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 01:48:09 PM »
I assume since 455 is specified on your screen, that you have another frequency available?

The 455 is what the older unit was capable of. It's close to 10 years old now, so the technology is old compared to what we have now.

Any info regarding the "hairy" lookin bottom on DI?

The hairy bottom is due to the fact that there is nothing much down there except some really fine, stringy grass. Thus, the "hairy" look  (giggle)

My L stuff is selectable 455/80

I can also switch between frequencies on mine. Still sorting all of that stuff out and learning about it.

Again, when I get onto some water with deeper depths and more hard bottom, I hope to get some better screenshots to share  :thumbup:

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal