BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 166
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Reversing braid for longer life  (Read 19359 times)

Offline Eric Low

• Smallmouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Reversing braid for longer life
« on: August 01, 2020, 07:20:51 PM »
I use Power Pro Super Slick V2 8 or 10 lb. It is about a 1lb diameter equivilant to mono;.  so a 3000 series spool holds a lot of line that never sees the light of day. Saw a video on Facebook the other day by Brent Chapman, in his yard he flipped the line over a post with the old end in one hand the rod in the other. He flipped the bale over and started walking away until he got to his backing. He cut the line there and tied the end with the old line there and spooled it up in reverse with the old line deep in the spool and the unused now on the business end. Easy and simple and goes in the why didn't I think of that file.
I have put line from one reel on to another gaining that effect but you need to start with one empty one. In Florida all my baitcaters have braid that I take off and save when I get back to Maine. With this technique I will be able to put it in in reverse so fresh line will be on the business end rather than deep in the spool. 

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
Re: Reversing braid for longer life
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 12:17:03 AM »
Yep, done that before with my braid except I don't use backer to start with and use 20 & 30# so it does use more spool depth to start. I keep empty line spools and use a small bolt thru 'em as a drill arbor. Chuck it up in cordless drill and spool off of reel onto empty filler spool. Since this leaves the "new" end on top, I chuck up a second spool and then run it off the first spool onto the second so I can then retie the "old" end onto the reel spool and load it with the "new on top.

Never did that with a spinning rig - just baitcasters.

It's a bit more time-consuming but I do this in the winter when the water is hard anyway and gave me something to do. I found that using the small filler spools are a better choice since they're obviously closer in diameter to the reel spool and don't make the reel sing such a squeal while emptying it.

Btw; I suggest using a variable speed drill at low speed to do this. Don't ask why - I'm sure you can imagine. :o
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 12:22:57 AM by Nightmare »

Offline Eric Low

• Smallmouth Bass
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 07:46:02 PM »
Did it for the first time today. Don't recommend bringing the new puppy out with you when you do it. Was quick and easy.....with the one distraction lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 08:12:02 AM »
I never thought about doing it that way Eric.  I just have my wife walk it off in a loop to the neighbor’s yard, cut it when I get to the backing and have her bring it back to me.  That way I don’t have to get out of my chair. (giggle)
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 07:51:35 PM »
@Eric Low I've heard of doing that before but never had the need to do so, since I only started using braid again in the last year or two.

I never thought about doing it that way Eric.  I just have my wife walk it off in a loop to the neighbor’s yard, cut it when I get to the backing and have her bring it back to me.  That way I don’t have to get out of my chair.

@Jig Man  (giggle)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal