BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 179
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: New Addition to the G3!  (Read 8570 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
New Addition to the G3!
« on: August 07, 2020, 08:12:36 PM »
Got this done this week!

Was still a work in progress when this pic was taken, but it's finished now  (yes) (whew)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Re: New Addition to the G3!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 11:27:55 AM »
So how do you like it?
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 10:43:54 AM »
Tried it out for the first time last night. I loved it!  :thumbup: :thumbup: :nod:

It was nice to be able to drop that spike and sit in a spot and fish it thoroughly without having to work to stay positioned.  (yes)

I did notice that it made a little more noise than I was expecting, specifically a squealing noise when the spike was being deployed.

Here's a 6 second video showing the noise. I will be contacting Minn Kota to let them know about it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CM9_U0Vtqjo-exg6lhJMzWVd-oDayQ9X/view?usp=sharing

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 03:16:43 PM »
I doubt that it should make that kind of sound.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 01:25:19 PM »
Nope. Absolutely not  (nope)

I was able to fix it and then used it Friday night during an overnight tourney.

It worked flawlessly and helped me immensely as the wind increased during the tourney.

I posted about how to fix it here: https://www.bassboatboards.com/index.php/topic,2370.new.html

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 01:36:40 AM »
Kudos on your troubleshooting and fix. Good explanatory and concise video.  :thumbup:

My observation though, is - what's the problem that's causing the noise? In other words, you've addressed the noise (symptom) but not the problem (cause). Only reason I point this out is, its possible the unaddressed cause could result in a future larger issue or failure. From the sound of it I might hazard a guess that something is binding, misaligned or misformed. It's seemingly obvious that 'something' is being used as bearing-surface in a manner not intended.

Just throwing that out there.

Unless a fellow has one of those tilt brackets, that's gonna be a tedious and repetitive task to perform - dismantling and reassembling.  (hmm)

Glad you got'im quieted down, though!  (yes)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 01:46:15 AM by Nightmare »

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 08:24:37 AM »
@Nightmare Good points for sure.

The noise was actually much worse in the video because of the fact that the unit was laying on its side, causing much more pressure to be on those surfaces than normal. There is usually no weight at all on them, since the mechanism deploys straight down.

If I had to do it over again, I would have laid the unit on its back, not on its side.

As for the root cause of the noise, it looked to me that everything was aligned properly, but I may have missed something. Time will tell, and I am definitely keeping an eye (and ear) on it as I use it on the water, to make sure there is nothing amiss.  :nod:

Oh, and as for disassembling and removing, it literally only takes 4-5 minutes to do so. Another few minutes to spray it with lube and 5 minutes to put it back on. 15ish minutes total.

The tilt bracket would definitely cut that down to less than 5 minutes, but not sure that I want to drop $200 for that bracket quite yet  (hmm)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 01:31:25 PM »
I've had the opportunity to use the Talon on several trips now, and I have to say that I absolutely love it.

No more squeak. And having the ability to stick that spike at the touch of a button and fish an area thoroughly, or weigh and tag a fish without having to worry about blowing 50 yards from where I caught it is a huge plus for me.

It also comes in handy when guiding, and a I have to tend to a client to unhook a fish or re-tie their line, etc.

Definitely the best money I have spent since I bought my Helix back in the winter.

I will be adding a second one sometime during 2021 if all goes well  :nod:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 10:55:13 AM by Curt »

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 10:30:36 AM »
I am sure glad it is working for you.  What you have stated is why I bought power poles when I traded boats.  However, the water was too deep for them to do me any good so I took them off and sold them.

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal