Bass Boat Maintenance & Repairs > Bass Boat Trailer Maintenance

New Hubs

<< < (2/3) > >>

Curt:

--- Quote ---My new boat trailer has Vault oil bath hubs.
--- End quote ---

I've heard mixed reviews on the oil bath hubs. If they spring a leak, you're done. A few stories of trailer wheels rolling past the tow vehicle come to mind  :surprised: :surprised:

JackJ:
Yeah they aren't as serviceable right on the road.  I use to carry spare seals, bearings, grease for my old boat, but not for this one.

I was thinking of buying a whole new Vault assembly in case I ever do have trouble on the road, or a regular hub assembly that will fit in place of it in case of emergency.

The Vault is a pressurized hybrid semi-fluid oil system, meaning the oil thins as the bearings gets hotter, and thickens when cold.  It's touted as "No inspection, No maintenance, No Service Required" , which does scare me a little when someone states something like that because we know that's not the case.

Curt:
I now have a spare hub that I will be holding onto and using as a fallback in case I need it.

In your case, Jack, I would suggest keeping something with you in the event that you have a failure on the road. Hubs are cheap (under $100) and are pretty straight forward to change out. It might save you a major headache one day. You never know!  (shrug)

JackJ:
Yeah I am going with a normal grease style hub for major emergencies like losing a bearing.   I also bought a set of bearing buddys and spare grease that I can put right on my Vault Hubs in case its just loses its grease/oil, and bearings are still fine for a quicker fix.

Jig Man:
No you guys have me wondering.  I’m going to have to check and see if my AAA membership covers hauling a boat.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version