BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 205
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: New Hubs  (Read 10993 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
New Hubs
« on: April 05, 2021, 11:03:23 AM »
I installed new hubs on both sides of my trailer at the end of last week.

I had a blown grease seal on the starboard side for the last couple of months of last season. So I had to be sure to squeeze a couple pumps of grease into that axle about every other trip out, to be sure that set of bearings would stay sufficiently lubed.

I decided that instead of replacing just the seal, I would replace both hubs, since that would give me new seals and bearings all in one shot, for both sides. This would eliminate any chance of bearing failure, etc. for probably as long as I will own this boat.

Started working on it Thursday afternoon. Had to make 3 trips back and fort to Napa before getting the right hubs and a tool to remove grease seals.

Finished the first one on Thursday evening. Got the second one done on Friday.

All went well.

The only thing I noticed was that when I was pumping grease into each side, the starboard side required much more pressure on the grease gun than before. I will likely take that side apart again in the very near future to see if I can figure out why.

This trailer has a grease fitting in the end of the axle that allows the grease to be pumped into the back of the cavity, so it fills the hub from the back, forward.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
  • Referrals: 0
    • Alabama Fishing
  • My Biggest Bass: 9-3
Re: New Hubs
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 11:11:02 AM »
My old Champion had that type of system, where it pumped from the back.  I really liked that. 
I also put bearing buddies on it so once I had it pumped from the back I would also pump from the front also a little more.

My new boat trailer has Vault oil bath hubs.  So far so good, but I noticed I need to change my brake pads really soon, and possibly the rotors too.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 05:41:29 PM »
I did that for my fifth wheel trailer before a trip to Texas some time back.  Then I discovered that God made mechanics who do that kind of thing for a living.  Problem solved.

I have my Nitro serviced by Bass Pro Service Center every fall.  They offer a 34 point inspection along with the service job.  So far so good.
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 10:25:35 PM »
......  Then I discovered that God made mechanics who do that kind of thing for a living.  Problem solved.....

(rofl) (rock)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 09:28:15 AM »
Then I discovered that God made mechanics who do that kind of thing for a living.

I usually don't do mechanical work anymore. But this was a fairly straight forward task, so I tackled it myself.

It wasn't bad overall. The worst part was the three trips back and forth to Napa to get the right hub, and then get a seal puller so I could install the right seal in the right hub  (fp)

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 09:29:24 AM »
My new boat trailer has Vault oil bath hubs.

I've heard mixed reviews on the oil bath hubs. If they spring a leak, you're done. A few stories of trailer wheels rolling past the tow vehicle come to mind  :surprised: :surprised:

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 03:31:44 PM »
Yeah they aren't as serviceable right on the road.  I use to carry spare seals, bearings, grease for my old boat, but not for this one.

I was thinking of buying a whole new Vault assembly in case I ever do have trouble on the road, or a regular hub assembly that will fit in place of it in case of emergency.

The Vault is a pressurized hybrid semi-fluid oil system, meaning the oil thins as the bearings gets hotter, and thickens when cold.  It's touted as "No inspection, No maintenance, No Service Required" , which does scare me a little when someone states something like that because we know that's not the case.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 11:59:20 AM »
I now have a spare hub that I will be holding onto and using as a fallback in case I need it.

In your case, Jack, I would suggest keeping something with you in the event that you have a failure on the road. Hubs are cheap (under $100) and are pretty straight forward to change out. It might save you a major headache one day. You never know!  (shrug)

Offline JackJ

• Largemouth Bass
    • Alabama Fishing
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 08:49:16 AM »
Yeah I am going with a normal grease style hub for major emergencies like losing a bearing.   I also bought a set of bearing buddys and spare grease that I can put right on my Vault Hubs in case its just loses its grease/oil, and bearings are still fine for a quicker fix.
2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
Mercury 175 Pro XS

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 11:47:34 AM »
No you guys have me wondering.  I’m going to have to check and see if my AAA membership covers hauling a boat.

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 11:03:10 PM »
No you guys have me wondering.  I’m going to have to check and see if my AAA membership covers hauling a boat.

I heard some unfavorable information and called 'em up. They told me I had to pay additional for RV coverage. Same for my motorcycle.

In 20 years I'd only used my AAA 2 - maybe 3 times and each time was local.... Main reason I had it was for traveling with the boat. I told 'em to get bent and canceled the whole thing..... Especially when I saw firsthand working  C:-), how service response really began to suck.

Here's my credit card (or if it'll get me a better deal, dig out some major cash reserve.... It'll get me farther than the AAA card will.  (angryman)

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 08:30:11 AM »
Now that could be a problem.  I’ll have to check on it.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2021, 04:30:21 PM »
AAA is good for flat tires and dead batteries, but for towing, they're terrible. I keep my membership because my wife gets her dental insurance at a pretty good discount through them. It also helps if she ever gets stranded somewhere and I'm not immediately available to get there to help.

They're definitely not helpful when it comes to towing a boat trailer  (nope)

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2021, 09:02:18 PM »
OK then I might have to rely on my State Farm road assist.  But I could always “Let Henry haul it”.

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal