Bass Boat Maintenance & Repairs > Bass Boat Trailer Maintenance

More Trailer Woes

<< < (2/2)

Jig Man:
What is it that causes all of the rust in your part of the world,  salt?  I had my last trailer 14 years and had no problems.  I have a flatbed trailer that is a 1995 model with no rust issues.

Curt:
I never use my boat in salt water, or even brackish water for that matter.

The issue is mainly with the boxed trailer frames. They never completely dry out inside, so they rust from the inside out.

I've seen 20 year old boat trailers made from c-channel steel that are in perfect condition. They dry quickly, so rust doesn't even get started on them.

Many trailer companies use boxed steel because it costs them less. It's stronger inch for inch, so they can get away with using lighter material. In the end, though, the consumer pays the price for it in trailers that rust out like mine.  (fp)

Curt:
Well, I got word today that my new trailer has been built and should be available for me to pick up on the 11th!

Can't wait to get this thing under my boat and not have to worry about rust any longer  (yes)

Jig Man:
Good going.  I hope it all works well for you.

Curt:

--- Quote from: Jig Man on May 03, 2021, 10:26:47 PM ---Good going.  I hope it all works well for you.

--- End quote ---

Thanks. I hope so too  (yes)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version