BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 169
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: More Trailer Woes  (Read 13157 times)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
More Trailer Woes
« on: April 15, 2021, 04:33:49 PM »
Well, it looks like my trailer has reached the end of the road   :crying:

I spent the money to put new hubs on both axels a few weeks ago, figuring that would keep me going until I replaced the trailer in a couple years.
Nope. Didn't work out that way!  (nope)

While I was in the garage a couple days ago, I happened to stick my head under the trailer to check something, and while I was under there, I spotted some rust that looked pretty scary.

I grabbed my flashlight and checked it out more thoroughly. Here's what I saw.

So, I did some scrambling, researched some replacement aftermarket trailers and made tons of phone calls.

No matter who I called, there were no trailers in stock anywhere for my boat. I managed to find one galvanized trailer that was available in Worcester, MA (60 or so miles from me). But it was bigger than what I needed, so I passed on it.

Every dealer I spoke with said it would take up to 15 weeks (or more) to get a trailer in once it was ordered   :surprised:

Ultimately, I finally found a trailer dealer in East Haven, CT (50 or so miles from me) who sells Venture trailers. It was the brand I wanted. Sadly, he only had trailers in stock that were either too big or too small for my boat.

But, on the positive side, he just happens to be the biggest Venture dealer in the USA, so he gets trailers in regularly. He said that if I was to order the model I wanted, he could have it in within 6 week... maybe less.

So, I placed an order and put a deposit down on a Venture VAB-2625 aluminum trailer.

It's not made specifically for my boat, like the current trailer was. But it will last me for whatever time I own the boat, since it won't rust. That's all I am concerned with at this point.

To top it off, it comes equipped with some nice wheels and the aluminum frame looks much better than galvanized steel does.

Now I just need it to arrive on time (or earlier) so I can put it under my boat.

In the meantime, I will nurse mine for as long as I can. And I have a friend who can loan me a trailer if I need to while I wait  :nod:

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 0
Re: More Trailer Woes
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 08:59:45 PM »
Can you save the hubs for the future?
If you're too busy to go fishing you're too busy!!

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 09:22:30 PM »
Can you save the hubs for the future?

I suppose I could. I still have both of the old hubs here that I could throw back on if I decide to sell it or tow it to the scrap yard.

I was actually considering leaving the new hubs on there as a selling point for someone who might want to buy it and repair the frame.

But then I also have tires on it that are only about 2 years old. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it.

Who knows?  (shrug)

We'll see how it all plays out.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Nightmare

• Smallmouth Bass
  • My Biggest Bass: LM 7 lb 5 oz (so far), Guntersville
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 10:48:11 PM »
I thought you just had a significant trailer reconfiguration within the last couple years?

That's the inevitable result of a steel tubular frame. It rusts from the inside out. By the time you see the damage, you're screwed.

That's why there's no fixin' it. There's more damage on the inside lookin' to get out that you can't see.

IMO, somebody looking to buy to fix and use is not thinking 'cause they're just gonna burn a bunch of holes in the "metal" that's left when trying to weld it.  (nope)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 06:58:15 AM »
I thought you just had a significant trailer reconfiguration within the last couple years?

Yep. 3 years ago I had two new crossmembers welded in and a small piece of the frame repaired.

But you're 100% right. I hate boxed frames for that reason. They rot from the inside.

Now that I'm buying a new trailer that's aluminum, I won't have to worry about that again.  (nope)

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 07:06:37 AM »
What is it that causes all of the rust in your part of the world,  salt?  I had my last trailer 14 years and had no problems.  I have a flatbed trailer that is a 1995 model with no rust issues.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 08:25:56 AM »
I never use my boat in salt water, or even brackish water for that matter.

The issue is mainly with the boxed trailer frames. They never completely dry out inside, so they rust from the inside out.

I've seen 20 year old boat trailers made from c-channel steel that are in perfect condition. They dry quickly, so rust doesn't even get started on them.

Many trailer companies use boxed steel because it costs them less. It's stronger inch for inch, so they can get away with using lighter material. In the end, though, the consumer pays the price for it in trailers that rust out like mine.  (fp)

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 07:57:20 PM »
Well, I got word today that my new trailer has been built and should be available for me to pick up on the 11th!

Can't wait to get this thing under my boat and not have to worry about rust any longer  (yes)

Offline Jig Man

• Largemouth Bass
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 10:26:47 PM »
Good going.  I hope it all works well for you.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 09:39:51 AM »
Good going.  I hope it all works well for you.

Thanks. I hope so too  (yes)

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal