BBB Sponsor

Bass Tackle at Guaranteed Lowest Prices

BBB Sponsors

Authorized AMSOIL Dealer

Your best choice for the Primary Tackle you need!

Fishing Tackle With Guaranteed Best Price!

Garmin Marine Electronics

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 176
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Braided Line  (Read 23915 times)

Offline n2ratfishin

• Smallmouth Bass
  • BassBoatBoards.com Rocks!
  • Referrals: 2
Re: Braided Line
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 12:13:22 AM »
I fished braid for as long as I recall.  The Palomar knot will fix you up.  Check for frays from your sinker, especially if you re using something other than lead.  As mentioned rocks will fray it as well.   The correct Rod is paramount to not killing yourself with braid.  If the rod tip is real stiff you'll hate braid for casting.   I can throw a small hollow body frog a long way on 60 pound braid.   

You don't want mono where I fish braid, that is unless you want your heart broken. 

Offline n2ratfishin

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 04:44:37 PM »

I took this picture on Guntersville.  The first hole is where a fish missed my rat, the second is where he hit it and the third and drag mark is where I turned him and drug him out of about four foot of grass matted over.   Imagine dragging an eight pounder out of this stuff along with another 15 pounds or so of grass.  Trust me braid is a huge advantage. 

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
  • Referrals: 264
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 06:07:36 PM »
For that kind of fishing, you're absolutely right. Braid is the way to go.

But I do little or no fishing like that. So braid isn't spooled on any of my reels!

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline Treeman12

• Largemouth Bass
  • Referrals: 0
    • Private Forest Management in PA, WV, OH, and MD
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 5 1/2, SMB 6, Musky 56 1/2 inches
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 06:41:18 PM »
I haven't seen a mat of grass like that since I played football...lol. Up here there a very few lakes with weeds, let alone stuff like that!  Yet another reason to move south...
Semi retired forester, USAF Veteran
2010 Nitro Z7, 150 Opti, 6" CMC Jackplate, Talons, LEDs
....."throw 'em all back and catch them again tomorrow!"

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 08:14:06 PM »
Up here there a very few lakes with weeds, let alone stuff like that!

Exactly.

Professionally Designed Websites Starting at Just $99 http://www.ProWebsitesUnlimited.com

Offline jpclapacs

• Guppy
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 9lbs 6oz from a stripper pit. SMB 4lbs 2oz KY Lake
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 05:32:15 AM »
I flat out gave up on braided line... sucks digging out ratnest...  I learned the lesson early to use a palomar knot with braid.  I went back to mono myself.  Stren 12lb on every rod i own except my spinning rod... stren 10lb.  its the most reliable line i have every used. 
I'd fish every day if my wife could afford it!

Offline Treeman12

• Largemouth Bass
    • Private Forest Management in PA, WV, OH, and MD
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 5 1/2, SMB 6, Musky 56 1/2 inches
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 07:19:57 AM »
I flat out gave up on braided line... sucks digging out ratnest...  I learned the lesson early to use a palomar knot with braid.  I went back to mono myself.  Stren 12lb on every rod i own except my spinning rod... stren 10lb.  its the most reliable line i have every used. 

Amazing isn't it?  The old standby, Stren, works great for me also.   (hmm)
Semi retired forester, USAF Veteran
2010 Nitro Z7, 150 Opti, 6" CMC Jackplate, Talons, LEDs
....."throw 'em all back and catch them again tomorrow!"

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 09:41:04 AM »

I use Stren on my spinning gear... 10 lb. test and 8 lb. test, depending on the setup.

On my baitcasters, Sufix Siege gets the nod on most of them. I still use some Berkley Big Game on a few rods too, in 15 lb. for a few and 20 or 25 lb. on my big topwater rod.

Offline Tom G.

• Minnow
  • It is what it is
  • My Biggest Bass: 9.6 LM 5.0 SM
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 08:23:24 PM »
I must be the oddball - I use Power Pro with the improved clinch with no issues, even in the riprap on Lake Michigan.  I do check and retie periodically, but really haven't had any problems.

Offline Curt

• BBB Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 08:27:41 PM »
I must be the oddball - I use Power Pro with the improved clinch with no issues, even in the riprap on Lake Michigan.  I do check and retie periodically, but really haven't had any problems.

You're right. You are the oddball  (yes) (giggle)

In all seriousness, though, I have never heard of anyone using the improved clinch knot with braid (without having knot slippage problems) or not having trouble with their braid fraying and breaking around rocks  (hmm)

Offline Tom G.

• Minnow
  • It is what it is
  • My Biggest Bass: 9.6 LM 5.0 SM
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 08:41:17 PM »

You're right. You are the oddball  (yes) (giggle)

In all seriousness, though, I have never heard of anyone using the improved clinch knot with braid (without having knot slippage problems) or not having trouble with their braid fraying and breaking around rocks  (hmm)

No comments from me there. (giggle)

Offline aussiebasser

• Minnow
  • Larrikan
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 06:46:37 PM »
I use braid on everything, but I also use a mono or flouro leader on everything.  I usually tie a Slim Beauty to attach the braid to the leader.
I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to.

Jake Grey

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 07:39:47 PM »
I use a Palomar knot, well wetted, with braid.  No knot breakoffs.  If I have a mono or floro leader a use a well wetted uni to uni.  No knot breakoffs.

Jake

Offline aussiebasser

• Minnow
  • Larrikan
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 07:42:08 PM »
I can't use a uni to uni on a lot of my rigs.  If fishing 50lb braid and 80lb Flouro leader, a uni to uni won't go through the guides.  Uni to uni is good up to about 20lb leader though.
I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to.

Jake Grey

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 07:49:38 PM »
Agreed @aussiebasser  My leaders are on dropshots, 6 lb floro to 40 lb braid for Lake Erie smallmouth.

Jake

Tags:

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Forum Staff

Curt admin Curt
Administrator
admin Jive
Administrator
Mitz gmod Mitz
Global Moderator
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal